ah, nothing like stealing high explosives...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OBXDIVEGUY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Wanna hear something ridiculous? Someone salvaged a torpedo from a German sub up in NC. From what I hear, it wasn't exactly a gov't sanctioned op. Now, I'm no expert on this, but there's gotta be some regs about plucking stuff off war graves and not to mention the possesion of the high explosives probably in someone's back yard.

Granted, I know more details than I'm leading on. The who, what, where stuff. And from past career paths, I know some of the the legal issues here, but I don't know anything about the explosive posession stuff. Anyone have any input?

I think I saw it strapped on the the back of a pick up truck. He is tail gater hunting!!

FIRE ONE !!

ATFE frowns on the possesion of explosives without a magazine and the proper paperwork.

If you're not pulling my chain then this is very serious, much more serious than I think the person who took the torpedo realizes. Explosives are indeed fowned upon by the ATF among about another dozen alphabet soup agencies. Since the explosives are formed into viable munition, they are also looking at charges of terrorism and possession of a weapon of mass destruction under the new DHS laws. I know it sounds outlandish but I assure you I am not exaggerating. Under the current guidelines they can consider several propane tanks a weapon of mass destruction, and these torpedoes have about 600 lbs of tnt inside. Let me tell you from personal experience that if the government finds out they will be very harsh with these guys and will not stop with just them, there are TONS of agents trying to make a name for themselves...they will proceed to go through their phone, email, bank, and credit card records and see who they are associated with and who knew what.....I consulted to several government agencies on technical issues in this field (specifically concerning timing devices) and these guys are gung-ho. Not to mention that the explosives and mechanics may be unstable and could create a smoking crater where his lawnmower shed used to be, LOL.

If I were them, I would contact the local FBI office and explain to them the situation....I would also have a lawyer on retainer, a good one, haha...and then stand by for about a million vans, cars, trucks, troops, and helicopters to start evacuating the neighborhood.....I would also get comfortable with being on the news.

OR - leave it in a remote area and call the FBI to come get it......

Or you could just be telling a sea story since these things are about 25 feet long and too big to hide under your bed....

-Dan

Ya, that is sort of what I expected.

Now I am hearing this info second hand, but it is from a reliable source. I have had experience with this group before illegally salvaging from wrecks, but this is the first I've heard of them taking something so large and dangerous. I can personnally tell you they have been warned by authorities before, and I'm sure that won't help their case.

This has been escalating for years with the same group pilfering the sites. There have been some slaps on the wrists, but hopefully there will be more serious consequences for this stunt. Not to mention the obvious danger of this.

Unfortunately, since these sites are outside of state waters, the feds are slow to invoke enforcement of existing laws. It's a bummer.

International waters aside, I assume they are operating within CONUS and brought back their prize? Also, the Coast Guard has jurisdiction over any US vessel anywhere in the world. I'm sure the Feds are slow to respond to guys nabbing china plates and such but this a whole different ball of wax.

I would not associate with these guys....there is no parole for federal offenses.

-Dan

You'd be very surprised how little the Coast Guard knows about this kind of stuff. Yes, they have jurisdiction, but they don't know many of the salvage and wreck protection laws they need to enforce. Let's just say I konw this from personal experience.

I would think that a fish that has been corroding away after the U boat sank 60 years ago would be pretty darn unstable. BATFE would be very concerned, but of a more immediate concern is the storage of a large amout of unstable high explosive. Incorrectly stored this thing could level a neighborhood.

The operation to recover that fish must have been extensive; as mentioned the things range from 25 to 36 feet long and weigh upwards of 1 1/2 to 2 tons....very very dangerous, highly unstable explosives, anywhere from 600 pounds on up....

Legally law enforcement agencies from locals up to feds will be highly excitable about the unlicensed possession of that amount of explosives...

adurso:
The operation to recover that fish must have been extensive; as mentioned the things range from 25 to 36 feet long and weigh upwards of 1 1/2 to 2 tons....very very dangerous, highly unstable explosives, anywhere from 600 pounds on up.....

Yeah, but think how neat it will look mounted over the fireplace

Back
Top Bottom