ah, nothing like stealing high explosives...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OBXDIVEGUY:
no, no troll. Granted, I haven't seen the alleged torpedo, but that is what some shmuck claimed to have helped salvage. Ordinarily, I'd blow this off as garbage, but I know of problems this particular group has caused in the past. I can confirm lots of munitions have illegally made it to the surface off of the NC wrecks to include mortar rounds and depth charges.

well, if this is not trolling, then i must say, why the hell would you post this in an open forum, claming to have knowledge? Lots of LEO types here, some of who just lurk. if you have this type of knowledge, call your local law enforcement agency before someone gets hurt. this is coming from an LEO who lurks, and sometimes responds.:no

underwasser bolt:
well, if this is not trolling, then i must say, why the hell would you post this in an open forum, claming to have knowledge? Lots of LEO types here, some of who just lurk. if you have this type of knowledge, call your local law enforcement agency before someone gets hurt. this is coming from an LEO who lurks, and sometimes responds.:no

I hear ya! I'll just come out and say I guess, I am ex-Coast Guard. The proper channels are being run here.

Now
I must start by first stating that I have NO IDEA about explosives, and so on, but that being said, I would think that anything exposed to sea water for that long would not be too much good any more... Explosively that is.... Unless the thing was so well sealed that it is still dry inside, or moist, as one of he other posters mentioned. I have read about aircraft found from this same era, that still had inflated tires! Now one would have to think that a war head or what ever they are called, would be sealed better than a simple tire, so I would think they have an unstable a bomb in thier hands with unknown potential to cause great harm.
The problem I see here is two fold. #1, you have in "someones" possesion, an unknown commodity of explosives, but at least we know it's ALOT!!!. That alone would cause me to give those guys a "here's your sign" sign award. That being aside, you have the problem with looting a wreck, that most likely have remains of the brave soldiers, who fought so valiaintly and proudly, (on all sides) This needs to be respected IMHO. We ALL need to have respect for those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Respect the graves of those resting there. I say take that thing back and put it back where it came from or call someone who can dispose of it properly. And in the end... well I guess the big boss will have to decide if what they did was so bad. To me its is beyond discriptions I can use here on this forum. I would call the Police right away If I had any knowledge of this sort of thing. Just my opinion of course.

Yes LEO is law enforcement officer. There is a reason the military blows a UXO in place, that thing is extremely unstable. I read somewhere (in Shadow Divers I think) about someone recovering a tank of compressed air that eventually ruptured causing damage to the garage. Now I am not a bomb tech, but I don't think I want a giant pipe bomb that has been rusting on the ocean floor since probably WWII mounted on my mantle.

The problem aint only the explosives and the casing. There is also a trigger and safety mechanisms on said explosive devices and they tend to be quite simple in their complexity. For example a little steel rod, a steel ball and a spring could well be the safety and trigger mechanism on an explosive device... Spring rusted to bits = ball moving freely = rod moving freely = potential disaster, for example?

I think its a hoax. I dove that wreck this summer. They have daily dives on that wreck. An opperation like that would be extensive. The sub is encrusted, it would take extensive dives just to get something that large dislodged, not to mention surfaced, undetected. ANd at 110fsw, you would have to be in serious deco......

Survey says..............................BS

How would you get it out of the U Boat? It would seem that it would take torching off 2 sets of doors and finagling it out the firing port. I don't even know what it would take to get it out the loading port on a sub. All that for fish that could go bang at any time and that the Feds will own you if they catch you with it!

Boy that seems like a bad plan over all to me. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was a sea story.

Not exactly sure if this was a recent incident or not, but it was well documented that a torpedo was removed from the U-85 several years ago.

ATF, FBI, et al. would be all over this if it was a recent recovery, especially these days. I know of an incident about 7 years ago where ATF came in and took a .50 caliber machine gun recovered from an aircraft displayed at a dive shop. The gun was clearly inoperable, and the ATF agent was cool about it, but they said they were still required to act and take the artifact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom