After 20 years, need one last dive (Lake Travis)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bcwatson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok here goes,
I have not had a dive in over 20 years, but need to do an 80 foot dive in Lake Travis just off Windy Point. So I'm looking to find someone with recent dive history to dive with me. I was only trained to a NAUI Basic Diver certification level (which included an 80 foot dive).
I don't have any equipment so I'll have to rent. I doubt I'll get back into diving, but need to do this one at specific location... not really retrieving something, more like checking on something, but can explain when the time comes. Not sure I want to take a refresher course just for one dive... Can I get an experienced diver to take me out for just one last dive?

Barry

More details on when and where might help, though I'm sure you know getting the help you ask also means that who ever accepts your request will be breaking some serious safety protocols. If you could do more than one dive and sorta work your way safely down to that depth this might be easier, but again ... details are needed here. The what is your business, but the when and where needs to be told.

The where is just as I said, just off Windy Point... not too far... The when... as soon as possible... if that means I need to take a refresher class and some extra dives first, then that's what I'll have to do although that might delay me until the water warms up again or I'll have to get a suit as well. Since I just want the one dive, I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it. But then I want to be safe also. It's not like I haven't been certified. I have my card, my original books... it's just been a long time since my last dive. I'd need a refresher on the dive tables. Of course, I'm sure that's all electronic now?
Maybe I need a buddy who is instructor certified...

bcwatson, concerning the site you want to visit...was it at 80 feet when the lake was full, or is it 80 feet now? You see, the lake is about 30 feet below capacity, so it may be that the location you want to visit is significantly shallower.

However, that doesn't change things too much. Your request would still ask a lot of a purely recreational diver, since it does require that diver to accept a lot of responsibility and break several safety protocols.

I do, however have a question of fellow swampers. Are there any dive instructors who might be willing to take the OP out, refresh his skills on the shallow platforms first, then do a supervised dive to the location he has in mind PROVIDING that instructor is satisfied that all is safe? We have some pretty great and exceptionally friendly dive professionals here on the board, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if one would be willing to help this fellow out in a safe and professional manner.

If you don't plan on diving after this one occasion and your hesitant to spend the $ & time of getting a refresher course and some practice, then you may consider asking/hiring someone to do the dive for you. More than likely, if they have all the info they can perform the same task or assessment and can probably take pictures if need be. That would most likely be a lot safer than trying to accomplish a deep dive after so long of an absence. Just a thought.

If you need to do this yourself, then I would certainly suggest getting a refresher course & a little practice. While diving may very well be like riding a bike, "falling off" while at 80ft could have serious consequences.
A refresher course can be done in a weekend, & will give you some practice on your basic skills.
Keep in mind; any kind of "work" underwater complicates things and task loads your basic skills. So what is normally an easy dive, gets more difficult.

Not trying to sound all doom and gloom, just trying to give you some information that may help you make a decision.

if you have not dove in 20 years I would suggest to take an entire course over,not just a refresher..Things have changed alot and you have also changed alot in the past 20 years.I do not know what your physical well being is,but you may also want to get a physical from a doctor before doing this.You never stated what your age is..Are you 35 yr old or 60+??
A 80' dive is not a simple "lets go do it " dive for someone who has not done it in 20 yrs.Very dangerous to attempt without being prepared for both yourself and who you may be with at the time.

I'm sure I'm going to take a lot of crap for this, but I'm intrigued. I'll consider taking you. I'm a PADI, SDI, TDI divemaster with plenty of dives in Lake Travis, esp. WP. All I ask is that you meet with me first, explain your reason(s), and consider doing a dive or two before shooting for 80'. If everything looks good I'll do the 80' dive with you...which may only be 50' considering the lake is pretty low right now. We could do this all on the same day if you'd like and everything goes well.

Let me know. My schedule can be tight.

~JohnA

Ok here goes,
I have not had a dive in over 20 years, but need to do an 80 foot dive in Lake Travis just off Windy Point. So I'm looking to find someone with recent dive history to dive with me. I was only trained to a NAUI Basic Diver certification level (which included an 80 foot dive).
I don't have any equipment so I'll have to rent. I doubt I'll get back into diving, but need to do this one at specific location... not really retrieving something, more like checking on something, but can explain when the time comes. Not sure I want to take a refresher course just for one dive... Can I get an experienced diver to take me out for just one last dive?

Barry

Well, there ya go. Thats about as good an offer as it gets.

John is an experienced diver and knows what he's doing. If you don't want to do the refresher/practice dives, his offer is probably the best way to go.

Please post the date of the dive - I'm sure several other Swampers will want to be out at the point just to watch what happens ... and hopefully be able to assist John in the rescue.

Your right John - you're going to take a lot of crap for this. Its not a good idea.

Well, there ya go. Thats about as good an offer as it gets.

John is an experienced diver and knows what he's doing. If you don't want to do the refresher/practice dives, his offer is probably the best way to go.

I agree. That is a very kind offer from John. The lake temp is about 72, down to 60 feet. I'm not sure what it is below that, probably high 60s. A 3 mil suit may be enough for this dive, depending on how you take to cooler water.

Like John, I am intrigued. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom