getting back to diving after nearly a year off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nobody cares what you look like in the water except you.... unless you lie about it. Then we all judge you:)

Welcome back @kaylee_ann

I'm glad to hear that your medical issue is now resolved and you're looking to return to diving. Take it slow and easy. As already mentioned get back into a pool and swim a lot first then do a refresher (or two) to re-familiarise yourself with the gear etc.

Nobody cares what you look like in the water except you.... unless you lie about it. Then we all judge you:)
Not true. People are always critiquing other divers especially the ones that over use their limbs, crash into the bottom, have poor trim, etc.

"Did you see that guy at Pickle's Reef paddling his hands like a madman"? "Yeah how about that other guy who took out like 10 coral heads with his fins?" Where did these idiots get certified, in a kiddie pool?"

Typical conversation aboard a dive boat or back at the dock and out of earshot of the offenders.

Not true. People are always critiquing other dives especially the ones that over use their limbs, crash into the bottom, have poor trim, etc.

"Did you see that guy at Pickle's Reef paddling his hands like a madman"? "Yeah how about that other guy who took out like 10 coral heads with his fins?" Where did these idiots get certified, in a kiddie pool?"

Typical conversation aboard a dive boat or back at the dock and out of earshot of the offenders.
Lol... yeah but if a guy or gal shows up and says "I suck, take it easy on me" I give them the utmost respect. They're working on it and humble.

To me it's like watching a fat person jog.. it's not pretty, but at least they know they need to change some things and are making an effort.

Now to the guy / gal that has 100 dives in the pool who thinks their **** don't stink? Absolutely...you'll be the punch line to a lot of jokes🤣🤣

So happy to hear that you sorted out your medical issues, you got already good advice so won’t add anything else :)

@kaylee-ann check out the New England Divers group on FB. There are a ton of divers that are regulars to RI and Mass. that would be happy to have you along.

Glad you are back. Have you considered just working on your swimming skills in a pool first? Once you feel comfortable swimming laps I suggest swimming more laps with mask, fins, and snorkel. The next step is to try to swim every other lap freediving/holding your breath, as far as you can. Don't discount the skills using these three most basic pieces of dive gear.

It can be a great confidence builder in addition to good exercise.

Edit: Once completed, then consider if you want a formal refresher course or just making some really easy dives with people you trust — assuming you are confident that you remember all your diving physics and physiology training.
Recommending apnea traing - especially to someone who is medically compromised is unwise. That type of traing without direct and professional supervision has killed healthy people.

I knew after I read the first post you'd get a ton of "take a refresher course" recommendations.

Diving isn't a difficult sport. You're certified, you know the skills. It's been one year, not all that long.

Maybe don't hop off a boat and drop on a 100' wreck, but I suggest you start with a nice easy beach dive. Plan a few days in the Florida, start with a nice easy shore dive off of Blue Heron Bridge and work your way down to the Keys.
The young lady specifically said she was terrified. She should take a conservative approach that is well within her comfort envelope.

The young lady specifically said she was terrified. She should take a conservative approach that is well within her comfort envelope.
Yes that's a definite consideration.

My line of reasoning is the BHB is an easy beach dive to a max of 20 feet in calm water where you've even got people snorkeling and swimming, along with a lot of new divers.. but one time a diver met up with my group after we exchanged info here on ScubaBoard. We all geared up, started working our way in, he's about waist high and freaks out and says "This dive doesn't feel right I'm calling it".

We all sort of looked at each other, shrugged our shoulders and wished him the best. We were all thinking...WTF is this guy so stressed out about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom