getting back to diving after nearly a year off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaylee_ann

crazy diver
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hi. so last year I got my open water certification and went diving in fort wetherill RI. shortly afterwards I had health issues preventing me from doing not only diving but a lot of other things. the major issues have been resolved; I still have a few problems though but not severe

so anyway, pending a neuro consult (and money LOL) to see what is wrong and if I can dive, how the heck do I go about diving again? it's been so long and I'm terrified that I will be absolutely horrible lol. thought of finding a pool or something to refresh basics in but I'll have to find a diving friend with one first lmao.

Glad you are doing better and if you get the all clear from the docs, a refresher course or contact your instructor (if you liked them) and ask them how much for a 1 on 1 review. I bet they would love to help get you back in diving shape.

I review my online courses paperwork, beginner instructional dive books and walk around the house with my gear on, going through the motions of all my exercises and even do some mask clearings in the tub instead of at the quarry/ ocean unless necessary.

Going through the motions makes me feel confident and lowers the jitter level. But the jitters is a good thing, it makes you proceed with caution and preparation.

I hope you get the all clear from your docs and I meet you on or in the sea sometime!

Her instructor has retired from teaching, so she can’t go with original one.

OMG, so glad to hear you’re close to getting back in the water! Just find an instructor and a pool locally and do a refresher. Do as many pool sessions as necessary to feel comfy in the water.

Good luck!

hi. so last year I got my open water certification and went diving in fort wetherill RI. shortly afterwards I had health issues preventing me from doing not only diving but a lot of other things. the major issues have been resolved; I still have a few problems though but not severe

so anyway, pending a neuro consult (and money LOL) to see what is wrong and if I can dive, how the heck do I go about diving again? it's been so long and I'm terrified that I will be absolutely horrible lol. thought of finding a pool or something to refresh basics in but I'll have to find a diving friend with one first lmao.
I’ve taken many back into diving who’ve had a break of a year or more. Your options:
* Do a refresher course (recommended),
* Take another Open Water Course,
* Go diving with an experienced buddy/instructor (not recommend).

You’ll be surprised by how much you will remember. Hope you get the all clear.

You’re at the wrong end of the country to use my pool but taking a refresher or some other course is a good way to get your water legs back, go on some local shop/club trips to meet people until you find someone to dive with that doesn’t make you want stab them :wink:

.... the major issues have been resolved;
I remember your prior posts,,,,Glad to hear you are getting better. Welcome Back !!

Hi @kaylee_ann , I recall your posts about getting certified and then about the medical issue. Welcome back! Just a couple of years after getting my OW cert, I took a year off in which I moved across the country, and when I decided to get back into diving I took a refresher course first. As others have alluded to, it's the logical thing for someone to do when they take a year off before they had a chance to really ingrain the skills.

Can't hurt to dry-dive. Re-read your OW book as you have a little time here and there.

Don't hold your breath!

[Warning: I was allowed to "play" with sharp things when I was growing up. It may have swayed my worldview somewhat ...]
It may be unsanctioned heresy, but you can probably do most of the "basic" checkout skills in standup-depth water (mask clearing, reg recovery, etc.) If you can nail buoyancy and trim at 3' you are probably in good shape. Minimal best practice would be to have a "spotter", but "stand-up depth."

Don't hold your breath!

Then I'd schedule a refresh/check/mentoring dive with an Instructor.

it's been so long and I'm terrified that I will be absolutely horrible lol. thought of finding a pool or something to refresh basics in but I'll have to find a diving friend with one first lmao.

Glad you are back. Have you considered just working on your swimming skills in a pool first? Once you feel comfortable swimming laps I suggest swimming more laps with mask, fins, and snorkel. The next step is to try to swim every other lap freediving/holding your breath, as far as you can. Don't discount the skills using these three most basic pieces of dive gear.

It can be a great confidence builder in addition to good exercise.

Edit: Once completed, then consider if you want a formal refresher course or just making some really easy dives with people you trust — assuming you are confident that you remember all your diving physics and physiology training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom