getting back to diving after nearly a year off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely, my biggest fear isn’t absolutely sucking. It’s the embarrassment of my dive buddy seeing how bad I may be and knowing I suck LOL. So a divemaster is less likely to judge, an experienced one has likely seen it all
Just be honest beforehand if you go with a buddy. We were all beginners once

Recommending apnea traing - especially to someone who is medically compromised is unwise. That type of traing without direct and professional supervision has killed healthy people.
Oh this would be totally safe for me to do. I have no lung issues. But thanks for pointing the risk out!

I hope you have fun diving again! I'm still land locked but I'm hoping to take a trip to Japan sometime soon so maybe I'll get the chance! In the meantime I will still practice in the pool haha.

Oh this would be totally safe for me to do. I have no lung issues. But thanks for pointing the risk out!
No actually it is very unsafe for anyone to do aggressive apnea training without full supervision, but swimming and snorkeling in the pool is definitely beneficial

No actually it is very unsafe for anyone to do aggressive apnea training without full supervision, but swimming and snorkeling in the pool is definitely beneficial

25 yards is "aggressive apnea training"? You learn something every day...

What term would you think appropriate to describe swimming underwater without breathing for a distance as far as a person is able?

It should be mentioned that your advice was to swim continuously with no stop or rest and incorporate pool length breath hold swims between surface swims.

I was never a good freediver and am considerably weaker now, but doing 25 yards on top and 25 underwater used to be somewhat challenging to me after about 300 yards unless I was really going super slow on the surface. It would be very stressful for me now.

Of course my buddy used to be able to do 25 yard underwater swims continuously with no break and only one breath at the pool end for many laps, so personal abilities vary greatly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom