affordable equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d-port

New
Reaction score
I finally got my certification after years of wanting to learn to scuba dive. I had a blast and see myself really getting into the sport. that being said, i want to purchase gear rather than wasting a ton of money on rentals all of the time- the problem is I am a very poor college student. i am writing here to get an idea of what brands are relatively inexpensive but still good quality, and can be used in a variety of waters. most of my diving will probably be in the new england area. i gather from other posts that i should really try on a bc as comfort is key, however i was originally under the impression that dacor and mares were very good. after reading some posts here, i am not so sure that is the case. can anyone please help out and let me know of some cheaper priced equipment? please-

The quality and innovation of the current selection of dive gear is at it's highest. Mares and Dacor are fine! Many of our members are highly opinionated and they tend to be all for something or all against. Use your best judgement and buy the best you can as money will allow. I hope your underwater journey is a fascinating one. Go blow some bubbles.

BTW, if you really aren't sure just what you want to dive, then rental can give you access to many different brands without having to buy each one to test. Many LDS's will let you try/rent new stuff as well.

What NetDoc said plus...

Look for reviews on the equipment and product recalls, etc.

Plus, when you find a particular model the chances are pretty good that someone here owns/owned it so ask away before you buy.

Congradulations on the new cert.

The first thing I would recommend is renting for awhile so you can see what you like and how it performs underwater before you drop alot of cash on your own stuff. Try to rent different brands and styles so that you can try it out and make an informed decision.

As far as a truly recreational BC is concerned I really believe that it is mainly a question of fit and comfort. If you plan to get more into tech diving in the future then there are other concerns as well. Alot of people here recommend using a backplate and wings even for rec. diving. It could be a concederation for you due to the ease of upgrade later on. It wouldn't be as cheap in the near term as an inexpensive BC (it would be cheaper than an expensive BC) but in the long run it might be cheaper as you can change one part and not have to buy it all over agian. (If you have other questions on the bp and wing you will have to ask others as I haven't used one YET.)

I have heard some of my dive buddies say that the Dacor Vipers breathe wet but I have never tried them so take that at what it is worth. As far as the BC's go I haven't heard much about them either good or bad. (except the HUB. No one seemed to like the idea of everything being built in. Again I haven't dove it so take that for what it is worth as well.)

I hope this helps some. Again try as many different ones as you can before you buy or you might be replacing it in the near future.

Chad

I was just about to tell you to try it before you buy it, but NetDoc beat me too it.

Many dive shops will let you try out gear befoer you buy it. Also see what the other divers in the area have and see if you can borrow a BC for a dive.

Also look at where you wanting to go in your diving. Are you looking at just staying with single tank open water diving, or do you see yourself in the future moving on to some form of overhead diving? If yes, then you might want to go ahead and try out a harness, backplate, and single tank wing. Then if you ever move on to doubles all you will need is a bigger wing. Plus if you gain/lose weight you don't have to worry either because the harness can be adjusted. I think extreme exposure will let you try out gear for 30 days or something like that. The cost of this set up should be close to that of a fully decked out jacket style BC.

My first BC I bought used from my instructor until I could decide what I wanted to get. That saved me some money, I didn't have to keep renting gear, and I ended up very happy with my backplate and wing.

Just some food for thought. Bottom line is just don't go buy something because you think it looks cool, or you have to just have this or that. Many new divers end up with tons of junk that they really don't need. Whatever you decide to buy, just make sure you are comfortable and it fits well. That's really all the matters in the end.

Originally posted by Wendy
Just some food for thought. Bottom line is just don't go buy something because you think it looks cool, or you have to just have this or that. Many new divers end up with tons of junk that they really don't need. Whatever you decide to buy, just make sure you are comfortable and it fits well. That's really all the matters in the end.
A hearty AMEN! to this with the only addition being to also consider performance.

In a nutshell, the better the bit of kit performs, the less effort needed to use it (fins kick better, reg breaths better, BC more streamlined, etc). Less effort translates to better breathing gas management and less chance of CO2 buildup.

Also, it often times is worth waiting just a bit longer to save that many more pennies to buy the higher level of gear (the $350-400 regulator versus the $200-250 one)

"risking your membership" on this board for having opinions that differ from others. If anyone makes you feel that way, please advise me or any of the regulators. We're not the "Mod-squad" for nothing you know!

Originally posted by Ari
I will risk my membership on this board and tell you that you really don't have to go for the most expensive, high tech gear available.

Btw, that is a fair article... all should read it.

Originally posted by Ari
I will risk my membership on this board and tell you that you really don't have to go for the most expensive, high tech gear available.
Heck, you'd be risking it if you didn't! :wink:

Sorry, it is just my sense of humor (ain't too funny).

People here ar somewhat opinionated, so I tried a little joke. Did not work too good.

I enjoy the board, the views and the general feeling of togetherness.

Thanks for the support.

Ari :)

Back
Top Bottom