affordable equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ari, you did't stir up anybody so let me try. D-port, don't overlook another good source of high quality equipment at a good price, that's used equipment. There is a fair amount of it out there if you look. There are some that will give you lots of reasons that used equipment is "bad", but the fact of the matter is that we all use "used" equipment on every dive (almost), the only difference is we know who used it last. I purchased about $1500-1700 worth of stuff the other year for $700 and by the time I sold what I did not want, I had an almost new Scubapro req and computer for about $200. Now I will warn you that there is a lot of poor quality/worn out gear out there as well. So, if you do decide to purchase some used gear, I would suggest that you make a deal with the owner to have it inspected by a equipment tech at a LDS and after you purchase it, have a full service done on it. Quality dive gear will last for many years (my 1980's BC and reg are still going strong) so just because it has a few dings and a little wear does not mean it's not safe to use.

We can:
1. Keep up with the latest whiz-bang equipment, paying high $$ for it;
2. Let someone else buy the latest and graetest and sell it to us after a year for 50%; or
3. Some kind of combination.

As a budget limited person, I did not go with only top equipment, but things that were right for my level and diving needs. When I outgrow it, I will replace. Until that time I really enjoy it (my mares mr-12 for example).

Ari :)

Originally posted by Ari
We can:
1. Keep up with the latest whiz-bang equipment, paying high $$ for it;
2. Let someone else buy the latest and graetest and sell it to us after a year for 50%; or
3. Some kind of combination.
4. Buy equipment optimized for our current and likely future styles of diving. If something comes along that demonstrably fits a need better, then upgrade.

If it's just the newest buy-it-'cause-marketing-got-a-boner rehash of the same old suboptimal junk, forget about it. :)

and check with your LDS and see if any of your rental money applies to the purchase of your gear. Mine did and it saved a few bones. But the big thing is don't just ruch in and buy, buy, buy. You need to buy what you want, and what you like. Maybe that means buying a reg this year, a BC next year and so on. And check your local paper and your LDS for flea markets.... alot of good gear is there for the picking.

Rich :mean:

You could try a....uhh...err...(looks around)...pawn shop...(runs for cover).

Make sure the pawn allows you to return the gear if it's broken. I found my Seatec BC in a pawn for $100, and haggled down to $45. I've been using it now for 10 years. Also, still use my $30 Parkway consul pressure/depth/compass. I once payed $20 for a neoprene weight belt, weights, gloves, neoprene hood, and booties.

Last year, at a thrift store looking for a halloween costume, i purchased a pair of Force Fins for $1.91 (the price is still visable on the back of one fin, a big $1.91 in permanent marker LOL).

My favorite pawn purchase is a US Divers Calypso reg with a j-valve on the first stage. Paid $20. I don't use it for diving, but it's pretty nifty.

You may want to steer clear of anything as vital as a reg, if your going to actually dive with it.

Both gems and junk can be found, So be careful.

The Zer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom