Advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ycc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I would like to get myself a new dive watch coz my wife took my Oceanic Geo 2

I don't need AI and doing rec dive only, budget <$400

Currently come up with few models:

Oceanic Geo 2, ~$350
Sunnto Zoop, ~$220
Cressi Leonardo, ~$250
Cressi Newton, ~350

LDS told me that Sunnto's algorithm is much more conservative than Oceanic, so how about Cressi compare to Oceanic?

Did you like your Oceanic Geo 2? If so why not get another one. When you dive with your wife you will have similar profiles.

If cost is a problem you could also consider the Mares Puck Pro.

You have some 'one button' and multi-button options. I like one button others don't and prefer multi-button.

Edit:
I dive with people using Suunto Zoops and have not seen any issues due to 'conservatism', such as noticeably shorter dives or noticeably less planned NDL.

Geo 2 is fine but I prefer a bigger screen, it seems Leonardo n Zoop have bigger screen, not sure about Newton

The Geo 2 and Newton both function as a watch as well as dive computer. The Zoop and Leonardo do not. The Geo has the option of two different deco algorthmns and can be set to be more liberal then the others.

Comparing the Geo and Leonardo, the Geo 2 has a lot more dive options including multibutton funtion and alarms but it is also somewhat more complicated to set up. But you own one so are familar with it. The Leonardo will retain your nitrox setting until you change it whereas you must reset the nitrox each 24 hour time period with the Geo. The Geo and Newton will do will do 2 gas options. The Geo and Cressi's both have a gauge mode. Not sure about the Zoop.

Other then the small screen of the Geo, what else did you not like? What did you find most useful?

Geo 2 is fine but I prefer a bigger screen, it seems Leonardo n Zoop have bigger screen, not sure about Newton

there's still a couple left: Amazon.com: Aeris A300 Wrist Computer ~Includes now FREE the Digital online class to get the most out of your dive computer.: Sports & Outdoors, I believe the algorithm should run close to Geo 2.

Zoop and Leonardo are supposedly more conservative though I think you can "game" them to some extent with longer SIs and SSes -- assuming you can: not holding up a boatfull of peole etc. Leonardo's single button can get annoying if you have to use it a lot, e.g. change N2% before every tank, but there's plenty of people saying Zoop's interface is worse. Leonardo's gauge mode is good to 120m, apparently new Zoops have it too. Older Zoop has no gauge mode which makes it less useful as a backup device.

There's a rumour DeepSix is releasing a rec computer for $150 in January. If you're not in a great hurry, might be worth watching this space: Dive Computers

LDS told me that Sunnto's algorithm is much more conservative than Oceanic, so how about Cressi compare to Oceanic?

There's detailed info sprinkled into this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...zers/305374-so-you-want-buy-new-computer.html

I believe the Leonardo is more conservative than the Geo 2.

My g/f has a Cressi Giotto. I have an Oceanic Atom. I think the Giotto and Leonardo have the same algorithm, but I'm not sure. I also think the Geo and Atom have the same algorithms.

We've only dived together on 4 dives (so far), but my g/f's Giotto was more conservative than my Atom by 2 - 4 minutes on each of the dives we did - and that was with her often staying a few feet above me in the water. The dives were all off the Outer Banks of North Carolina, on wrecks, so generally pretty square profiles to around 110'.

Hi all,

I would like to get myself a new dive watch coz my wife took my Oceanic Geo 2

I don't need AI and doing rec dive only, budget <$400

Currently come up with few models:

Oceanic Geo 2, ~$350
Sunnto Zoop, ~$220
Cressi Leonardo, ~$250
Cressi Newton, ~350

We can help you with either the Geo or the Leonardo at those price points, though I suspect that as others have pointed out you may be happier with the Leonardo. Please contact us at 877-728-2243 or info@scubatoys.com for more info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom