Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt I

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Kind of a neophyte question ...

Looking for undergarment advice having moved to an area with warmer water.
  • Several years ago I lived in the Puget Sound area where there are a million walk-in dive sites. The diving was fabulous (GPO, wolf eel, etc.!) and its pretty chilly there all the time. I started with a 5-mil farmer john (so 10 mil on the chest) which worked OK but drove me to getting a TLS-350 with a Waterproof brand Octans undergarment (there's no tag indicating the loft). I got drysuit trained and was very happy with my kit - then I had to move to the midwest for work.
  • I had to hang up diving for a while for a variety of reasons.
  • So, still living in Missouri, I recently hooked up with some diver guys at church and my wife and I are getting back into it. (I'm kicking myself for having been away so long!)
  • Water is warmer here compared to the PACNORWEST and diving usually only requires a 3 mil in the summer, possibly a 5 mil if you stay below the thermocline for a while.
I've been diving neoprene wet but want to get back to using my drysuit. My undergarment is far too thick for the conditions, esp above the thermocline. Any advice for a thinner undergarment for the conditions here?

(... and yes, while wetsuit diving came back very quickly (like riding a bike) I plan on getting a refresher on drysuit diving :))

Many thanks!!

I use merino wool shirts from Costco (about$20) as a winter base layer, or as a summer thermal. Works as well as the expensive Under Armor stuff, at a fraction of the price.

Kind of a neophyte question ...

Looking for undergarment advice having moved to an area with warmer water.
  • Several years ago I lived in the Puget Sound area where there are a million walk-in dive sites. The diving was fabulous (GPO, wolf eel, etc.!) and its pretty chilly there all the time. I started with a 5-mil farmer john (so 10 mil on the chest) which worked OK but drove me to getting a TLS-350 with a Waterproof brand Octans undergarment (there's no tag indicating the loft). I got drysuit trained and was very happy with my kit - then I had to move to the midwest for work.
  • I had to hang up diving for a while for a variety of reasons.
  • So, still living in Missouri, I recently hooked up with some diver guys at church and my wife and I are getting back into it. (I'm kicking myself for having been away so long!)
  • Water is warmer here compared to the PACNORWEST and diving usually only requires a 3 mil in the summer, possibly a 5 mil if you stay below the thermocline for a while.
I've been diving neoprene wet but want to get back to using my drysuit. My undergarment is far too thick for the conditions, esp above the thermocline. Any advice for a thinner undergarment for the conditions here?

(... and yes, while wetsuit diving came back very quickly (like riding a bike) I plan on getting a refresher on drysuit diving :))

Many thanks!!
Hot chilis has some baselayers that aren't too terribly expensive. That is what I personally use, under armor is an option as well but going to cost more. As smiffy mentioned you can also just find a wool shirt from a store like target or walmart or whatever to keep you warm. The undergarments don't have to be advertised as "scuba" undergarments, because then you'll be paying a premium. Just buy a warm shirt and pants to use underneath.

Think of where you are at, what I have in my inventory that would work. Weezle compact. They are not super warm, but warm enough. No added base layer needed. Short dives (less than multi-hour) down to about 60°, but have worked fairly well in some upper 50s as well with a little extra lead and air. There are a few retailers in the states Weezle Compact One Piece Undersuit

Hot chilis has some baselayers that aren't too terribly expensive. That is what I personally use, under armor is an option as well but going to cost more. As smiffy mentioned you can also just find a wool shirt from a store like target or walmart or whatever to keep you warm. The undergarments don't have to be advertised as "scuba" undergarments, because then you'll be paying a premium. Just buy a warm shirt and pants to use undernThanks for the common sense, practical advice!

Think of where you are at, what I have in my inventory that would work. Weezle compact. They are not super warm, but warm enough. No added base layer needed. Short dives (less than multi-hour) down to about 60°, but have worked fairly well in some upper 50s as well with a little extra lead and air. There are a few retailers in the states Weezle Compact One Piece Undersuit
Makes sense for both entries. Thanks for taking time and for the common-sense, practical advice!

I use merino wool shirts from Costco (about$20) as a winter base layer, or as a summer thermal. Works as well as the expensive Under Armor stuff, at a fraction of the price.
Thanks! Indeed, they throw a brand name on it and then jack up the price. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom