A day in the life!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious how you DM's keep from getting seriously bent with all the diving you all do? How do you manage it? I have always wondered....?

Just curious how you DM's keep from getting seriously bent with all the diving you all do? How do you manage it? I have always wondered....?

Well, I can't speak for others, but as for myself, I ascend extremely slowly. I also do most of my diving with a Suunto, which is very conservative. I am an instructor but also really enjoy leading groups as a DM. I tend to DM fun divers in the morning, and am usually working with students in the afternoon. I rarely do deep dives with students in the afternoon. When I am doing deeper dives all day I dive nitrox, and leave my computer set to air for added conservatism.

Just my $0.02

Well, yesterday afternoon I started working with a student on his advanced course. He is a very nice guy who is 76 years young. We worked on his peak performance buoyancy, and I think we made some positive changes. Then I did a night dive with a DM candidate and a couple of certified divers. The DM student ran the whole show as a Discover Local Diving program, which credits toward his DM certification.

This morning I took a group out for two lovely dives, Columbia deep and Columbia shallows, then came back to the shop and did dives 1 and 2 with a new open water referral.

Now I am having a beer!!!! : )

Sounds like you deserve it. How long has the 76 year old been diving?

He must have been one of the first users then, because it (Scuba as we know it) came out in 1943. I wonder just how much a basic set up cost then relative to a regular working class guy's income.

Probably the old drink a coke underwater or eat a banana under water tricks!

Finished up with my open water referral student yesterday morning. We did a very nice dive at Palancar Gardens where we swam slowly with a turtle for 10 minutes or so. It was great, and the student did very well. Then for the last dive we went to Tormentos. I was having a great time until the end, when we started heading more shallow. The end can get down below 60 feet, and our depth limit for the course is 60. That's when we came across a group of 7 young people at around 65 feet who were obviously on a discover scuba experience. Two instructors (at least I hope they were instructors) swimming with a person in each hand, dragging them along, and three more trailing behind. I have done enough DSDs and open water classes to feel confident that these were not certified divers, you can tell the difference. I hate seeing things like this. There really are some people here who will do anything to get your money, you deserve better!

In the afternoon I did the navigation dive with my 76 year young Advanced Open Water student, he was great! His square came back to within about 3 feet of the starting point, well done. This morning we are going on the boat to do his deep and fish ID dives. Should be fun.

Gotta run.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom