A day in the life!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got to work this morning to start a refresher at 8am, only to find that the port had been closed. I sent the student away and rescheduled for tomorrow, then got on the phone and cancelled my advanced open water student for later in the day. Not 5 minutes later they opened the port! : )

Managed to get hold of my advanced student again and let him know we were on. We finished his course with his deep dive and fish ID dive. He enjoyed himself enough to sign up to finish his drift specialty and deep specialty later this week. Good day!

Now to Casa Denis for dinner with friends.

interesting, we dont see much trouble with bcd removal up here..........and your right, a lot of folks get pretty anxious at the mask remove and clear.........

interesting, we dont see much trouble with bcd removal up here..........and your right, a lot of folks get pretty anxious at the mask remove and clear.........

It ain't the removal that is causing the struggles, it's the putting it back on again : )

My instructor told me to make "chicken wings" with my arms shoving elbows in first then pushing hands out. Does that visualization help matters any?

Yes, tremendously!!! Although it has nothing to do with diving or skills. : )

I am a fan of putting your arms in than flipping it over your head, we do that here in drysuits due to limited mobility..............., its a job with 24lbs, three undergarmets and a dry suit, big gloves and a hood..................no wonder I love Coz so much

Well, the last few days have been great, and busy. I did a refresher on wednesday with a terrific lady who had lost a bit of confidence in her dive skills. She was awesome! No lack of skills, just a lack of confidence. She told me that she was a very comfortable, avid diver in her previous years, but now it has been a while and she is getting older. She said she was especially nervous about skills involving taking her regulator out of her mouth, so you know what we focused on : )

She really was a nice diver, and any struggle she was having was all in her head. I feel like she proved to herself that she was as sharp as she remembered, an in a strange/nice twist, she did something I've never experienced before. After making her do reg recovery enough times that she was obviously very comfortable with it, she reached out and hugged me underwater. Awww...

The last few days have also been a great example of the real intention on the PADI advanced open water program. I (along with others) have long believed that it is a poorly named program, because it's real purpose is not to make you an "advanced" diver, but rather to give you some experiences under an instructors guidance that will help you discover what interests you might like to pursue as a diver.

I worked with a guy on his advanced program earlier this week. We did navigation and deep dives, plus a drift, a fish ID, and a peak performance buoyancy dive. After we finished he was interested in finishing up the deep and drift specialties. We made plans to finish those off, and before you know it he decided that he enjoyed the navigation dive enough to try to finish that course also. I finished up with him today, and it was a lot of effort on his part, but I'm happy to say that he completed all three specialties, and has become a much more confident and competent diver as a result.

Now for an early night in bed with a glass of the Balvenie, and a day off tomorrow. Ahhh!!!

Hey Mat I've finally found the time to catch up on your blog. It's quite interesting seeing the insider view of what we divers, or more specifically the about to be divers go through on the way to building confidence. Having been an avid snorkeler & swimmer the mask thing was something I grew up with without ever thinking about it, but in reality I've never had to remove & get back into my BCD until 2 weeks ago when somehow my inflator hose got stuck behind me after the back roll. Instruction & practice made it a non issue, and although Alberto offered to fix it that wasn't necessary. Tell everyone I had a great time.

Larry

Hi Matt- So hoping to get down there this year for some R%R and diving. It has been a couple of years since we have dove so will be taking a refresher course - hope you will still be there!! Once again thanks for your blog!!! Jean from MO

Back
Top Bottom