3rd Annual Venice Beach Fossil Hunting & Birthday BASH! (6/25/05)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll pencil it in as a possible, if weather forecast is good i'll try to make it up.
you guys dive at the main beach ?

Kevin

I will try to make it had a receint surgery and if I am healed enough to not get an infection I will be there ith the wife and kids. However, I wont know untill just a few days prior since its dependant on my recovery.

I've spoken with Holly, and even if we just show for the comraderie, we'll try to be there. Where will the event be? Address? Map? Bueller? Bueller?
Another question, would this shade be the blueish gray one with the odd pvc connectors that was left at the Friday 13th Megadive?

Walter:
Krista, Jean is a riot, you'll like her.

Awww... I try :D
It's because of the wonderful company !!! :wink:

Jean

I'll be in Sarasota Weds the 29th so I'll just miss you guys by a couple of days.

CBulla:
WEATHER PERMITTING!!

Nope, its not a typo, it really is the 3rd annual Venice Beach gathering.. and once again we're getting birthday parties mixed in as well! Kris (my wife) and Jean both have a birthday near the weekend of the 25th and what better way to celebrate than a dive bash, eh (just for them since they are from the nort!)

Last year was a real cooker in the heat, however, with a bar-b-que and Brians (novafury) portable sunshade coupled with the variety of potluck items and coolers of refreshments we had an absolute blast!

When: June 25 - 9 A.M. until...??
Where: Venice Beach, FL
What to Bring: Dive Gear, refreshments, something for a potluck lunch

Bring the family or friends and join us at this great fossiling event! Sign up HERE!!

In my on ongoing quest to keep on top of what weather and environmental conditions are effecting our local dive sites, I'm posting the current Conditions that will play a HUGE factor in this dive going off since so many of us are effected in bad ways by Red Tide:

http://isurus.mote.org/~mhenry/rtupdate.phtml

In General:
Red tide and its effects are being reported in near shore waters between Tampa Bay and Charlotte Harbor. Cell counts are fluctuating between low and high. Dead fish and respiratory irritation are being reported from St. Petersburg to Venice.

Southwest Florida Gulf of Mexico
A red tide bloom is currently found from lower Tampa Bay southward to Venice. Moderate to high concentrations were reported by Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota Bay, with low to moderate concentrations reported by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Research Institute elsewhere within the bloom area. Dead fish and respiratory irritation have been observed throughout the area as well.

Scientists from Mote and the FWRI are continuing to monitor the situation and to pursue research into factors affecting dynamics of the bloom, adverse effects from the toxins and ways to mitigate these effects. The amount of respiratory irritation will depend on the direction and intensity of the wind. Light winds and winds blowing off-shore should minimize adverse effects along the beaches. Sporadic reports of dead fish and respiratory irritation may occur, depending on local conditions. It is important to note that as atmospheric and oceanic conditions change, algal bloom conditions change as well, making forecasting very difficult.

Levels/Concentration of Red Tide:
Very Low(1-5,000 cells/liter) = Little or no effect
Low(5,000-100,000 cells/liter) = Shellfish harvesting ban
Moderate(100,000-1 million cells/liter) = Some respiratory irritation and possible isolated fish kills
High (1 million + cells/liter) = Respiratory irritation, fish kills and water discoloration
NS = not sampled

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom