2nd Monastery Beach Victim Dies-It's Time for a Better Sign and Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was a well-written article. The part that stood out the most for me was the description of the existing signs:

There are signs that warn: "Surf subject to unexpected life-threatening waves & currents." They warn: "Climbing on rocks, swimming and wading unsafe." But the signs erected by the State Parks Department look like standard warning signs at so many other beaches. They have an obligatory feel. They whisper when they should shout.
I've read a lot of well-meaning posts from people in the last few weeks about how personal responsibility and common sense must rule the day, and how people who don't heed the current signs somehow deserve whatever fate will befall them for ignoring the signs. The above quote demonstrates a very good point though: the existing signs are meek and ineffective. It can be easy to forget this if you've been aware of Monastery for years, and are personally aware of its history, danger and consequences; it seems obvious that the beach is dangerous and should be given respect. But especially for tourists and first-time visitors, which Monterey/Carmel get a lot of, a sign that's bigger, more foreboding, and hits with more impact (including the idea to incorporate a memorial) could make a real difference. And if it doesn't, it certainly can't be worse than what's currently there.

"The Darroughs are statistics now, the latest victims of the beautiful roadside trap that has earned its ugly nickname — Mortuary Beach."

The quote from the article inspired a thought, maybe they should change the official name of the beach to it's nickname and add a little history plaque by the entry sign.
Ber :lilbunny:

It's too bad that they did not take the opportunity to make it more noticeable, like Gombessa pointed out ... it looks too much like any other park sign

Unfortunately folks will still get in trouble at monastery. There is no warning nor can common sense be taught...I do like the better signs,,I hope that with all the attention on this beach that the state doesn't deciede it is too dangerous for divers and post new signs saying,,,"No Scuba Diving Allowed"....

This is the first sign in the project. The next sign will be much larger, about 4' x 4' that will be diver specific. But you're right, I'd like the new sign to be bigger too. Perhaps the fact that it's a pictorial will be more appealing to look at.

This is the first sign in the project. The next sign will be much larger, about 4' x 4' that will be diver specific. But you're right, I'd like the new sign to be bigger too. Perhaps the fact that it's a pictorial will be more appealing to look at.
Is anyone going this Sunday that would like to carpool? I live in the east bay and can meet up with someone who would like to carpool.

tessa

The new signs are really bright. They actually catch your attention just driving by.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom