2nd Monastery Beach Victim Dies-It's Time for a Better Sign and Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know how to phrase it in four words.

"Rouge wave" is a term people are familiar with and probably scares them a bit. It would be good
to use it.

A memorial marker is a GREAT idea. Somebody brought it up before, I think in the parallel discussion
on ba_diving. Include dates, names, and epitaph: "Snatch off the rocks by a rouge wave." "Dove
in to save someone snatch off the beach by a big set. The original victim survived."

Two signs (maybe three, see below). One sign is the warning, one sign is the memorial.

Possible third sign is directed at divers.

LOTS OF RED.

How about depicting the wave in the picture as a hand forming at the crest reaching toward an unsuspecting person on shore with their back turned. A rather ominous image I think.

One more thing: Red pigments don't hold up well in the sun. It will need a periodic "repaint". (Replacement is probably easiest).

Automotive red paint will hold up better than anything else. If nothing else, an automotive clear coat over the whole thing will make it last longer.

chuck, your post includes more on the red theme than you realized... rouge is "red" in French. You meant "rogue" of course, but an image of a red wave coming in to pound an unsuspecting person could get attention as well.

This is Carmel River Beach, 24 Feb 08. Interestingly enough, Monastery was flat the exact same day.

MoCal DIR - Watch Video

The waves in the beginning range from 6-10'. The last set of waves are in the 16-20' range.

I was watching the news a few days ago. there was a segment about this sign that had some markings on it. like a bar code. and when you pointed your cell phone at it. it gave you a virtual tour of the location. its in san francisco and other locations. just a few days ago in the news. I thought of your sign project.

I was watching the news a few days ago. there was a segment about this sign that had some markings on it. like a bar code. and when you pointed your cell phone at it. it gave you a virtual tour of the location. its in san francisco and other locations. just a few days ago in the news. I thought of your sign project.

QR codes are neat for replacing cumbersome typed-in URLs and messages into a cell phone, but they're way too obscure to be any degree of useful on a warning sign. The entire point is to make it patently obvious to someone who isn't paying attention to it at all. There may be 1 person in 50 in the middle of silicon valley who knows what a QR code is, and maybe 1 in 500 who has a cellphone capable of reading it. IMO, that's not the best use of space when you *need* to maximize awareness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom