2nd Monastery Beach Victim Dies-It's Time for a Better Sign and Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocWong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This is very unfortunate, it was a father and his 23 year old daughter that died in their attempt to help rescue another: Second Monastery Beach victim dies - MontereyHerald.com :

Monastery is incredibly beautiful and personally knowing the hazards of this beach, I feel very safe visiting it, but how often do we see little kids playing near the surf line with unattentive parents? Tom Mesch and I were there last month getting some video of the surf when he saw just that, a small child playing near the surf, mother not watching.

He quickly came over to the mother and told her of the hazards and she thanked him. That could have been yet another double death.

Those little "Hazardous Surf"signs just don't cut it.

Here's a graphic that can be used to make a sign, I need your input on what you think about it. I think adding a scuba graphic would make it too complicated, what do you think:

(this file has been uploaded on the ba_diving yahoo group. I have a .pdf file of it. Can someone help me with converting it to a .jpg, then I can post it)

This is a good start and I need your input.

For the video, I'd like to invite everyone to come to the Monastery Panel Discussion. We have an awesome panel of experienced divers and I'm looking forward to an audience of divers' questions on Monastery. Also, talking to the Dept of Parks and Recs, they want the video on their web site it it meets their approval.

Date: Wednesday March 26, 2008 7PM to 9 PM.

Location: Map of 1391 Woodside Rd Redwood City, CA by MapQuest

Active Life Medical/Chiropractic Center
1391 Woodside Road, Suite 200
Redwood City, CA 94061

Doc - the Link to the sign is not working. Can you post it internally within your thread?

I am saddened to hear about the 2nd death. A real shame and my heart goes out to the family.

Doc - the Link to the sign is not working. Can you post it internally within your thread?

I am saddened to hear about the 2nd death. A real shame and my heart goes out to the family.

I have it in a .pdf file and need help in converting it to a .jpg file so I can post it.

Doc,

Would you like me to do that for you and post it?

I have gotten a copy of it from Buck - thanks Buck. The only addition that I would make to the sign would be an advisement of the fact that there have been numerous deaths on the beach because of the conditions (Example: "People have drowned here").

I know they have a sign like that on Ocean Beach here in SF and, to me, it impresses upon me (and hopefully others as well), the severity of danger. If you want me to go and take a picture of the OB signage, I'd be happy to.

I resized it better for the web. I can post it bigger if needed:

2346371328_f74631b43e.jpg

I think that sign has a good amount of relevant information, but it seems that simpler is better when trying to convey messages to the general public.

Might want to "dumb" it down a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom