2nd Monastery Beach Victim Dies-It's Time for a Better Sign and Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with Dave... even the best signs do little good if the people who would benefit most from them don't read them. We see it all the time here on Catalina, both at the dive park (which does need better signage but is nowhere near hazardous) and topside in town.

Doc I like the sign, the graphics convey the situation perfectly. I agree with strengthening the warning to include letting people know that drowning is likely.

Now will people read and head the sign? I think most will, those that choose to ignore the warning? Unfortunately there will always be those who think they know better, you can't protect fools from themselves.

Unfortunately, careless and/or stupid people do not read or pay any attention to warning signs but their survivors always figure out a way to contact a lawyer to sue for inadequate signage.

I’ve seen people bump their head on a sign warning them to stay off the jetty, after rubbing the bump vigorously then proceeded out to the jetty anyway.

:rofl3:So True

Doc I like the sign, the graphics convey the situation perfectly. I agree with strengthening the warning to include letting people know that drowning is likely.

Now will people read and head the sign? I think most will, those that choose to ignore the warning? Unfortunately there will always be those who think they know better, you can't protect fools from themselves.

Would listing Victim's names or maybe just number of deaths or something in those regaurds sound stupid or degrading??

I am just trying to come up with something with some more impact???

The few times I have dove Monestary I have found it to be a nice dive, But somehow getting and making an impact on people of the danger seems to be something like.... you need to hit them with a stone.:D

Thanks alphonsis! THAT's the one!

Maybe a nice "In memory of" memorial near the sign with names listed and a note "who perished in the surf" placed nearby could serve as a reminder.
Ber :lilbunny:

Maybe a nice "In memory of" memorial near the sign with names listed and a note "who perished in the surf" placed nearby could serve as a reminder.

I really like Docs illustration, for me it spells the danger out very well. Maybe another sign posed below that one "In Memory of" those who perished in the surf. These signs could be posted in their honor and also serve as a warning to those who choose to heed it.

There Thats what I was trying to say!!!!

Thank you Rabbit that is right on the money!!:lotsalove:

I like Doc's illustration. I have never dove or even been to Monastery beach, but I am familiar with hydraulics / backwashes and the extreme danger they pose. I had NO idea such conditions existed at Monastery. Great info!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom