2nd Monastery Beach Victim Dies-It's Time for a Better Sign and Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I resized it better for the web. I can post it bigger if needed:

2346371328_f74631b43e.jpg
I don’t know this beach so just my noob visitor perspective in addition to being rather inexperienced with Beaches in general, the dangers they may impose. I would figure the beach at least is a safe place to romp and play at will.

I found your original sign very very good. It reaches to several levels of observation awareness.

You can’t do much about people who ignore all signs. I’ve seen it plenty – for the same reasons you are addressing – people getting into something they are unaware of the potential dangers.

KISS does have validity and this does have a predominant KISS message. There is a Danger and involves the Beach! So if the viewer has any reasonable concern for safety there are clear and explicit instruction on how to safely enjoy this beach.

Of particular interest to me was the graphic depiction OF the danger. Immediate grasp of ‘that doesn’t look good’ vs words and terminology I do not understand. Although the warning to not attempt rescue I did understand and actually nodded my head in an OK, I don’t really know what I’m looking at but apparently it’s even worse than envisioned.

Last I read the smaller explanations with great interest, and feel I’ve learned a great deal from a very simple and easy to understand visual statement. And here the correct terminology would be most appropriate.

You would be doing me a disservice to omit much and insult me by dummying it down. It doesn’t say by omission; If You Don’t Know Why, You Don’t Belong Here or You’re Gonna Die, Go Away, which I would tend to ignore as there seems to be people here not feeling threatened.

As for making the trapped person a diver…I would presume this warning is applicable to diving which would reduce my concerns – if I looked close enough to recognize it was a SCUBA Diver and I was not planning to dive there. It would be confusing to associate children playing on a beach with SCUBA divers. In theory at least (mine) a diver would be able to associate diving was putting himself in exactly that potential danger. From the swimmer getting spin cycled, I would certainly go find someone to explain what precautions I should take as a diver and again do a bit of wide eyeing at do not attempt a rescue (Yike! This is serious!)

Awesome, thanks for you input, this has been valuable for me. The design of the sign is geared for those who do not know much about Monastery.

Willard Bascom, Waves and Beaches, Anchor Books, 1980, Page 225: "One of the most
ubiquitous myths of the seashore is that of undertow." Bascom then spends a couple of pages
debunking undertow.

What we have a Monastery is simple turbulence.

OK, the how would we better word it?

DANGER-Turbulent Waves?
DANGER-Big Waves?
DANGER-Deceptive Waves?
DANGER-Dangerous Waves?
DANGER-DANGER-DANGER?

as a reference(inspiration?), here is the warning sign they have at Maverick's. This being another pretty dangerous section of beach in California.

Danger_High_Surf-600x449.jpg

forgive me doc, but.

the sign isnt broken. talking about it on SB will do more good than swapping out a sign. Im a bit concerned over the motives to swap out the sign. honestly it seems like an ego thing. I don't see how swapping out the sigh is going to save lives. while I like the effort of permoting safety and the collaboration and feedback on this project is outstanding. just because you can . doesnt mean you should. I do appreciate you trying to make the difference.

life guard or rangers might help.
education and discussion on multi levels might help.
or beach police when there is high surf.
making the park part of lobos might help.

Im not trying to be the difficult. just honest. doesn't get more clear than Life-Threatening Surf!!!

a phone # with surf and ocean conditions on the sign might improve the effectiveness of a sign. make it multi facetted. like texting to vote. make it interactive. not a bad idea? but would require funds. make a real difference. doing the same thing over and over expecting different results is just insanity.

or something like I see at workout parks. where you jog so far and there are some obstacles to overcome before you continue. recommended for first time beach visitors say.

I know in sonoma county we have issues with goat rock. but that's mostly people falling off the rock. Stillwater cove is a popular scuba destination. it has clamed its fare share of fatalities. but each location has a different set of circumstances.

I'm not from California but have been following this thread and others about Monastery Beach with interest.

I think posting a nearby memorial marker, listing the dead, would give your project the impact you seek. Nothing like seeing a list of names of actual victims to get people's attention.

Back
Top Bottom