2nd Monastery Beach Victim Dies-It's Time for a Better Sign and Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I resized it better for the web. I can post it bigger if needed:

2346371328_f74631b43e.jpg

Doc.

I am starting to hate this dive-site.

I agree with alphonsis.

How can I help??

This sign needs to be more.... Um...Scary/Convinsing???

People need to know how FAST how EASY they can die here, Like the church group from out of town this last weekend, It was only two dead??? Could or was it 4/ 6??

Doc, I cant make the meeting but I would love to help warn other's of the danger if I can help in some way.

Oh... By the way the picture graphics are great, Just a more heart-stopping wording would help?? Maybe?

I think this sign is a great, great start. It doesn't look generic, which is going to be huge in terms of getting people to notice it.

I also think it contains a lot of interesting information that only serves to "task-load" the warning function. Deep long-shore trough? Perhaps, but that phrase, along with "berm" merely clutter up the sign rather than give weight to the warning.

Another suggestion I have along the lines of making it hard to ignore is to personalize it - label it "Monastery Beach" so people know the sign has been custom-made to address the specific dangers of this specific location, and is not just a generic surgeon general or airbag warning that they attribute solely to liability limitation and therefore ignore.

Doc.

I am starting to hate this dive-site.

I agree with alphonsis.

How can I help??

This sign needs to be more.... Um...Scary/Convinsing???

People need to know how FAST how EASY they can die here, Like the church group from out of town this last weekend, It was only two dead??? Could or was it 4/ 6??

Doc, I cant make the meeting but I would love to help warn other's of the danger if I can help in some way.

Oh... By the way the picture graphics are great, Just a more heart-stopping wording would help?? Maybe?

There was a total of 2 fatalities from this weekend's incident. There will be plenty of opportunities to help. We'll be shooting video at Monastery over the next 6 months and could use your help then.

A few years ago we were at Peggy's Cove and there was a sign on the lighthouse warning of the dangers specific to those rocks. I can't remember the wording but it was ominous. Maybe someone has a picture of that somewhere to get a little help with wording.
Ber :lilbunny:

Maybe change the "DANGER Steep Beach" to ... Monastery Beach - DANGER!​

Monastery Beach
DANGER!

./

change "Follow These Recommendations And Be Safe" to this
PEOPLE HAVE DROWNED HERE!
Keep all the rest of the sign as it is, The bold words quickly and simply get your attention and the info why is there in easily understood pictures

A few years ago we were at Peggy's Cove and there was a sign on the lighthouse warning of the dangers specific to those rocks. I can't remember the wording but it was ominous. Maybe someone has a picture of that somewhere to get a little help with wording.
Ber :lilbunny:
Not my picture, but here ya go:

peggy_warning.jpg

There was a total of 2 fatalities from this weekend's incident. There will be plenty of opportunities to help. We'll be shooting video at Monastery over the next 6 months and could use your help then.

Thank's Doc.

I was very mistaken/confused on the number of deaths and Zen_Man called me last night and explaind where I had gotten confused by another thread that made me think there where other divers taken as well.

Sorry for the confusion.

Good, I'm glad you got that straightened out. Anytime we get our facts straight, it all calms down.

True.

Though I will never understand how people can just ignore the sign's posted at monastery about the danger the way the do!

Unfortunately, careless and/or stupid people do not read or pay any attention to warning signs but their survivors always figure out a way to contact a lawyer to sue for inadequate signage.

I’ve seen people bump their head on a sign warning them to stay off the jetty, after rubbing the bump vigorously then proceeded out to the jetty anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom