Phase 2: Monastery Beach Video Shoot Sunday April 27, 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I'll be there and would like to help in whatever way I can. Like Sarah said...I'd be ok being video'd doing an entry but I definitely need some work on my exit, so I wouldn't be a good candidate for showing how to do it right. :shakehead:

0. Michelle: Video of how to do it WRONG may be more important than how
to do it right.

1. If you are going to be on the beach, and you have an FRS radio, please
bring it and set it Channel 6, subchannel 9. It looks like I'm going to be
the "Small private boat waiting outside the surf zone ready to assist." and
the videographers may want to tell me to get the heck out of the background.
;-)

And I'd like to stand well off when Doc ISN'T getting rolled.

2. If someone who is rescue diver and up would like to ride down with me
on my boat, and do a dive or two after, t me know. I'd like somebody
on the boat to help if stuff happens. Though with this forecast:

> .SUN...NW WINDS 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT. W SWELL 3 TO 5 FT AT 11 SECONDS.

I suspect that we'll get some GREAT "This is a GOOD day to dive Monastery"
video. Do get some video that shows how hard it can be to make that 18"
step UP at the waterline.

I'll be watching e-mail till about 9:30, then again early in the morning.

I don't have a radio either. And dang it, I saw the forecast yesterday and told Mark "even CT will be diving with this forecast" and its true. I am going to have to contend myself with all the 'awesome viz and dive' reports........ Color me bummed out. :(

Sorry guys,

Aside from my allergies today I ended up with some last minute family commitments that I was unaware of.

Well, south Monastery was "ankle-biter" calm, fortunately, north Monastery had moderate waves for us to shoot video on.

Well, I'd like to thank everyone who attended! You were awesome. We got a lot of good footage of entry, exits, rescue and one of us (me) doing the "Monastery Tumble." Though I've dived Monastery many times, I've never had the pleasure of being tumbled and boy, the experience is a bit different than the talk about it.

Guy, Matt, Dennis, Mark and Michelle demonstrated entry and exits with a couple of easy rescues performed. Guy was one of our safety divers, Chuck was on hand in his Whaler outside the surf zone to assist if needed. Sara was doing photos, while Jim was shooting HD video with his Sony FX1 and Sheryl helped with waivers and video releases. Loren Rex from the Dept of Parks and Rec was there to for observation and interview!

Regarding getting tumbled at Monastery:

Purposefully drifting into the surf zone, parallel to the beach was counter intuitive, but I just waited and drifted. Though I thought I was ready for the the ordeal, the power of the waves churning me over and over flooded my mask and had me completely disoriented. I couldn't tell which way was up, down, left or right. As I was churning in the surf, I kept my hands on my mask and regulator and only let go when I could feel the sand. I could feel the upward slope and since I was pointed uphill, I just scrambled, crawling up the sand and out of the surf zone. Had I been pointed the other direction, I would have kicked out into the ocean. I wanted to be anywhere but that 10 foot crash zone!

I can see how this situation can get ugly! Keeping your wits about you while churning in the washing machine can be quite a challenge.

I can't wait to see the footage as I think we got a lot of what we needed. The only thing missing was the entry and exit without fins. Everyone there was comfortable with entry with fins on.

Afterwards I re-entered the beach to dive with Chuck and had an awesome dive. This was my first wetsuit dive in Monterey in over 3 years! That was a different experience!

So all in all, the video shoot went better than expected.

Wow,

Doc in a wetsuit, had I known that I would have been there to see it myself... I can hardly wait to see the video, as the details in your log are intense; the part about being disorientated in the surf zone makes me aware of how dangerous this cite can be....

So doc, what mil was your suit? What was the lowest temp reading?

It will be interesting to see how this turns out. We stopped by the beach on Friday to check it out and honestly thought it would be a good dive even if we never have dove it before...that is how calm it looked. Then we both said na, lets wait to go with someone or a group who have actually successfully dove it, a couple times.

Sounds like it went well.

Back
Top Bottom