2 women killed by sharks i Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to avoid a shark attack ...... sit under a tree!

There are more deaths by pigs and cows than sharks

Each year worldwide there are ~ 10 deaths attributable to shark attacks compared with ~ 150 deaths worldwide caused by falling coconuts. More people each year are killed by elephants, crocodiles, bees, and wars and many other dangers that confront us, than by sharks.

If you want to avoid a shark attack ...... sit under a tree!

There are more deaths by pigs and cows than sharks

Each year worldwide there are ~ 10 deaths attributable to shark attacks compared with ~ 150 deaths worldwide caused by falling coconuts. More people each year are killed by elephants, crocodiles, bees, and wars and many other dangers that confront us, than by sharks.
and coconuts! so maybe don't sit underneath a tree :wink:

and coconuts! so maybe don't sit underneath a tree :wink:
it isn't safe at home either!

I believe many more tourists are killed by rhinos and crocodiles every year than sharks.
Crocodiles absolutely. You can be at a river's edge and a croc from 3 meters will lunge, grab you, and pull you back underwater in a flash.

Rhinos? Not so much. As long as you don't get in between the young and parents you are fine. Baby rhinos will attempt to approach you and their parents will prevent them (speaking from experience).

Maybe you met hippos? Those animals are not to be underestimated. They are fast and capable of biting a crocodile in half.

many shark populations are making relatively strong comebacks in many parts of the world
Where? Not in Thailand. I dove there for the whole month of February 2022 and saw no shark!

it isn't safe at home either!

Crocodiles absolutely. You can be at a river's edge and a croc from 3 meters will lunge, grab you, and pull you back underwater in a flash.

Rhinos? Not so much. As long as you don't get in between the young and parents you are fine. Baby rhinos will attempt to approach you and their parents will prevent them (speaking from experience).

Maybe you met hippos? Those animals are not to be underestimated. They are fast and capable of biting a crocodile in half.
Yes Hippos, my bad! LOL

Where? Not in Thailand. I dove there for the whole month of February 2022 and saw no shark!
I think he means Australia is being circled by sharks in recent years :cool:.
I lived and worked for 2 years, roughly 40km south of the incident location, diving everyday 2-3 times. In first year, I have not seen a single shark. Only in the second year, we started driving guests down south to Elphinstone reef to see owt, silky and occasional hammerheads. This was 20 years ago. At that time pelagics were seasonal, at least that is how it started and over the years they became increasingly permanent on certain areas. 20 years ago, I could not imagine such attacks would be even possible. I mean what are the chances being attacked by a short fin mako? Who has ever seen one diving? I am wondering whether sharks do a final comeback to retaliate before going extinct.

It is a good thing to be respectful. But there are thousands of dive encounters with Oceanic Whitetip sharks every year in egypt that are exciting, but not dangerous. There are excellent local dive guides with lots of experience that will prepare divers and teach them the correct protocol. Basically: always face the shark, stay vertical, don't try to hit it if it comes close, don't swim away, finning like crazy, flap arms etc. Keep your gear tight. Do not hang out on the surface.
Before diving with Longimanus, DM brief us exactly that. Stay vertical, Always face the Shark. Don’t swim at the surface & splashing like wounded fish (which is what most snorkelers do). We came out fine during the dive.

Facing the Shark and looking at it at all time is critically important, especially for Tiger Shark. If there are other Sharks there (Reef, Bull, Lemon, Nurse, etc.) don’t worry about them, just keep eyes on the Tiger, otherwise….

Back
Top Bottom