2 women killed by sharks i Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, two so close in time and proximity? Seems unusual.

When I visited Sharm earlier this year, I was talking to one of the instructors about shark attacks in the area and he brought up the 2010 attacks. Apparently, where animals are getting transported at sea if some die they just get thrown overboard which attracts the sharks. Some tour guides use chum to attract them. His view is that people are attracting sharks to the area by conditioning them to associate us with food. As a marine biologist, I am inclined to agree. I'm due back there in October, and this does worry me.

From Wiki - "A variety of theories were put forward to explain the attacks. This includes overfishing in the Red Sea or on the illegal or inadvertent feeding of sharks or smaller fish close to the shore, which produced scents that attracted more sharks. Another theory considers the dumping of sheep carcasses in the Red Sea by a livestock transport during the Islamic festival of Eid al-Adha had attracted the sharks to the shore."

It's so sad for the sharks and for the people.

I am reading directives from authorities in Egypt banning all water activities in areas where these incidents took place (in Arabic)

These are not diving incidents, are they? Many incidents and losses happen at sea, but this is a diving accident forum. These were already posted and moved to other forums...

Back
Top Bottom