2.4 GHz WLAN interferes with pressure transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Google does not seem to have heard of it. Do you know what frequency the transmitter works on ?
As a matter of interest have you tried changing the channel your 2.4 G wlan is on, and moving away from the router/amplifier. Every time you double the distance, you receive only one-fourth the power.
I could not find anything via Google as well. I dont know the frequency and I did not try to change the channel. But I tried it about 30-40 m away from the router (in my garden) and ther was still no connection.
However, there are several other WLAN networks around from my neighbours which could menat that changing the channel of my network doest not help...
I will report back as soon as I caould find out more.

Suunto transmitters work at 38kHz? Certainly the PPS MH8A transmitters use 38 kHz, but Suunto?
A more likely explanation than router interference is user error in trying to link to the D6i. My friend spent some days getting his to connect; the instructions were not complete/correct.
As soon as I turn on the 2.4 GHz WLAN, the connection is broken. Turning it off again -> connection established. I am qhite sure it is caused ba the WLAN.

From the good old Citizens Band communication devices I know that when you used an amplifier, also unusable signals with a multiple of the actual frequency are generated. I could even interfere with TV reception standing about 20 m next to my amplifier with a 25 W amplifier (I think 1 watt was allowed).
I will try to switch to normal signal strength and report back.

As soon as I turn on the 2.4 GHz WLAN, the connection is broken. Turning it off again -> connection established. I am qhite sure it is caused ba the WLAN.
Sounds like the WLAN is the culprit then. Does it work when you are diving ?

From the good old Citizens Band communication devices I know that when you used an amplifier, also unusable signals with a multiple of the actual frequency are generated. I could even interfere with TV reception standing about 20 m next to my amplifier with a 25 W amplifier (I think 1 watt was allowed).

If turning up your 2.4 GHz WiFi TX power has harmonic side lobes all the way down in 123 KHz, you need to get a new router… that one wants to kill you.

I
I think the RF geeks refer to those multiples as harmonics.
Back in the bad old days in Oz you used to have to have a license to have a T.V. set. Detector vans were used to detect tv in houses. A tech once explained to me (and I am going off memory from a long time ago) that tv gave off an intermediate frequency or a harmonic of the IF that was detectable. The vans did have elaborate antennas to detect weak signals. The router may generate some sort of if and it or a harmonic may be close the the Suunto frequency. I am sure there are people out there that know a whole lot more about this than me, as I know next to nothing.

Today I wanted to set the WLAN to standard transmit power and test the Suunto connection, but already at full power (150 mW) the transmission between wireless transmitter and D6i watch suddenly worked in my home for the first time since about 3 years. I had changed the battery of the watch a few days before, because during a recent dive "bat" had flashed on the display.
I never ever had transmission issues during dives, only at home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom