Range of Suunto transmitter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

What is the range in air of the Suunto Wireless Tank Pressure Transmitter? (above water)

I've connected the transmitter to my Suunto Vyper Novo computer. It connects fine within about 1ft of range but then shows no connection beyond that range.

Does the transmitter have increased range underwater?

Hi all,

What is the range in air of the Suunto Wireless Tank Pressure Transmitter? (above water)

I've connected the transmitter to my Suunto Vyper Novo computer. It connects fine within about 1ft of range but then shows no connection beyond that range.

Does the transmitter have increased range underwater?
Mine is good to about 2m. Underwater it stays connected even with my arm fully extended.

Thanks for the info, mine has much less range.
Does it matter if the transmitter is behind your arm?
Does direct line of sight have a big effect on range?

Thanks for the info, mine has much less range.
Does it matter if the transmitter is behind your arm?
Does direct line of sight have a big effect on range?
I used a Vyper Novo for around 5 years and the only time I had a connection issue is when the battery in the transmitter was about to die. It was connected directly to the right side of my regulator, which would then be behind my right shoulder. I wore the computer on my right arm. I usually have my arms folded in front of my chest with my right hand clasping my left wrist so that I can see the computer at all times. But it didn't matter where I had my arm, it never disconnected other than the time I mentioned. So in my experience, line of sight has no bearing on connectivity.

When was the battery last changed?
I'd start with this as it seems the easiest.

Should definitely be longer than 1ft. If the battery change doesn't fix it, any possibility you could try it with a different computer? That extremely short range sounds like it could also be an antenna problem on the receiver. At such close range, the signal is strong enough to get through with a non-functioning or sub-optimal antenna.

Thanks for the info. Battery was tested at 3.02V but I replaced it anyway and it still has the same problem.

I'm going to dunk my tank & computer in a pool today to test just in case, but it seems like it'll have a similar short range underwater too.

Whether it's the computer or transmitter, that's good question. Unfortunately I don't have another of either unit to test.

Just did a pool test and here is what I've found:

- Vyper Novo Dive computer does not receive signal above water. I believe the contacts on the computer need to be wet for it to receive. When I soaked the computer with the hose it started receiving again until it went dry again.

- Water doesn't seem to effect the range, you get around 6-8ft of range above or below water (providing the contacts are wet on the computer if it's above water)

All in all, my transmitter and computer are working fine when tested in the water.
Hopefully this info helps someone else!

Just did a pool test and here is what I've found:

- Vyper Novo Dive computer does not receive signal above water. I believe the contacts on the computer need to be wet for it to receive. When I soaked the computer with the hose it started receiving again until it went dry again.
Glad you got it working.

That seems like a poor design, though. I’d think you’d want to check your pressure and take a few breaths before jumping in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom