2.4 GHz WLAN interferes with pressure transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tschens

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My private 2.4 GHz WLAN interferes with the Suunto radio transmitter, my D6i does not find the signal. Is this problem actually known?
I must mention that I have amplified the wireless signal in the settings of my router.
The 5 GHz network does not cause any problems.
Thx,
Jens

Dr Google does not seem to have heard of it. Do you know what frequency the transmitter works on ?
As a matter of interest have you tried changing the channel your 2.4 G wlan is on, and moving away from the router/amplifier. Every time you double the distance, you receive only one-fourth the power.

Odd as the transmitters work at 38kHz with low data transfer rates, nowhere near GHz for wifi.

Wonder if this is correlation without causation?
Suunto transmitters work at 38kHz? Certainly the PPS MH8A transmitters use 38 kHz, but Suunto?
A more likely explanation than router interference is user error in trying to link to the D6i. My friend spent some days getting his to connect; the instructions were not complete/correct.

Suunto transmitters work at 38kHz? Certainly the PPS MH8A transmitters use 38 kHz, but Suunto?
A more likely explanation than router interference is user error in trying to link to the D6i. My friend spent some days getting his to connect; the instructions were not complete/correct.
From Suunto's Website:

Radio transceiver​

• Frequency band: single channel 123 kHz
  • Maximum output power: 360 mW
So not 38khz, but 123khz. Still *WAAAY* far away from 2.4Ghz - could the wifi be causing interference on some harmonic? Possibly. But the most likely cause is *not* from your 2.4 WiFi transmitter...

It could be from the actual router itself, but without a set of antennas and a scope that would be hard to tell.

Well I guess even through some strange electromagnetical phenomena your wifi signal is actually interfering with your Suunto transmitter, it's only really a problem I guess if you're taking your router diving with you ...

Assuming that @tchens assumptions are based on a valid testing regime, I.e. turn the router off and the transmitter works without changing any thing and turn the router back on and the transmitter stop working then it has to be the router. It is generating some sort of spurious emission on the transmitters frequency.

The options are
1. Turn the “amplified” power down on the router
2. Change the channel on the router
3. Replace the router with a higher spec router
4. Move the transmitter and receiver further away from the router, taken diving

Assuming that @tchens assumptions are based on a valid testing regime, I.e. turn the router off and the transmitter works without changing any thing and turn the router back on and the transmitter stop working then it has to be the router. It is generating some sort of spurious emission on the transmitters frequency.

The options are
1. Turn the “amplified” power down on the router
2. Change the channel on the router
3. Replace the router with a higher spec router
4. Move the transmitter and receiver further away from the router, taken diving
The receiver in the Suunto D6i is probably pretty broadband...and is just being overloaded by a really crappy signal nearby. I don't understand why the router is nearby....seems like #4 is the real solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom