Info Suunto reliability: Transmitter batteries DOA and computer lock up during dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tggm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm very disappointed with my D6i + Transmitter pod experience.

I'm on my third transmitter which also came with a low battery warning on first use. The first one was completely dead and I got a refund for it.

Then I ordered a second one via amazon which immediately gave a low-batt warning on its first use. Complained to amazon which sent a replacement. Guess what? Tried it today and it also gave low-batt warning.

To make matters worse my D6i Novo computer entered an error state during a dive. Computer has 7 dives total. Entered "algorithm lock" at 10 meters deep and neither me or my buddy recall doing any sudden ascent that would cause that 48h lock up. It appears to be a decompression ceiling violation (pic below) but I can't possibly understand how that could have happened on an EAN34 dive, max depth of 13 meters at 17 minutes into the dive.

Also on a second dive the logs show a sudden ascent from 10 to 5 meters that triggered two ascent rate alarms. Again neither me or my buddy remember that ever happened. So maybe a faulty depth sensor? Was it my fault? Maybe, but I don't have much confidence in the gear.....

I'm becoming really annoyed with the general quality of the suunto experience. The computer problem I'll try to sort with their support but what about this issue with the transmitter batteries? Keep ordering and returning them until one stops giving low-battery warnings? Or should I buy a battery replacement kit, then a battery from a trustworthy shop and replace it myself?

Because at this point I have zero confidence that the batteries on a kit will be at full charge. Maybe I'm getting old material from the warehouses? The fact of the matter is, I'm losing confidence on the brand and becoming more and more tempted to return the whole thing and buy something else.

At least I would stop hearing suunto joke every time I go to the LDS.... :(

1657397373004.png

First dive profile:

1657397432826.png

Second dive profile with sudden ascent:
1657397506293.png

Did your buddy have a computer that you could compare logs with to see if they also had a big ascent happen? Not that they necessarily were sticking to you like glue, but if you both have it, it's good evidence it actually happened.

Hey, sorry about your troubles. It’s no fun having a dive computer that doesn’t work right. Pretty much every brand out there has had issues at one time or another.

It can be tough avoiding the rapid ascent, but will get easier as experience at using mostly breathing to manage depth gets better. I think every diver has to work at this sometimes. For sure I do.

Entered "algorithm lock" at 10 meters deep and neither me or my buddy recall doing any sudden ascent that would cause that 48h lock up. It appears to be a decompression ceiling violation (pic below) but I can't possibly understand how that could have happened on an EAN34 dive, max depth of 13 meters at 17 minutes into the dive.

What makes you say the lock out happened at 17 minutes into the (first?) dive? When it locked at 10m did you continue the dive?

Here’s what I suggest happened:
All was normal in the first dive except for a gas switch around 17 minutes that caused a gap in pressure readings because the second gas didn’t have a transmitter. There was some excessive ascent rate in the second dive around 45 minutes which triggered a mandatory safety stop. The actual safety stop was quite short and then surfaced while not following the instructions showing on the computer indicating to stay below the ceiling. Some don’t like the Suuntos because they will lock out if the user violates a mandatory ceiling for more than 3 minutes.

If following the computer‘s guidance is inconvenient, definitely get a brand that won’t lock out. I don’t know anyone that regularly dives this brand who has problems getting locked out. It’s typically new to the brand, or inexperienced divers.

My experience with bad depth sensors is they read crazy numbers, even at the surface - obvious failures. They don’t read normal except for one small space of time on one dive.

Regarding the transmitter, the replacement battery are inexpensive online. Clean and lube the existing oring and reuse along with the housing when installing a new battery. You can see the battery life in the transmitter selection screen - use an SPG if it’s low. There are 6 AI Suuntos in my dive group and all are working great after multiple transmitter battery replacements.

Did your buddy have a computer that you could compare logs with to see if they also had a big ascent happen? Not that they necessarily were sticking to you like glue, but if you both have it, it's good evidence it actually happened.
It was a dive store computer and we didn't remember to do that. It's a good idea to keep in mind for next time.

What makes you say the lock out happened at 17 minutes into the (first?) dive? When it locked at 10m did you continue the dive?
Yes. I noticed the error state. The computer had left dive mode. I reactivated dive mode and from that point on it only provided depth information. This had to be done twice. Po2 data was gone.

After downloading data to the PC that single dive was split into 3 different segments, which was expected. That picture was subsurface merging the dives together (sorry for the confusion). The second and third dive are logged as EAN21 (so the D6i reverted to air) and that's probably why the gas switch icons are there. If I check the individual dive segments with suunto's DM5 software there are no gas switch events there.

Some don’t like the Suuntos because they will lock out if the user violates a mandatory ceiling for more than 3 minutes.
Yes, I'm aware. This could also be triggered by faulty depth readings.
Regarding the transmitter, the replacement battery are inexpensive online. Clean and lube the existing oring and reuse along with the housing when installing a new battery. You can see the battery life in the transmitter selection screen - use an SPG if it’s low. There are 6 AI Suuntos in my dive group and all are working great after multiple transmitter battery replacements.
Yeah I think you're right. Best to do it myself even if I have to buy the kit from time to time to replace the o-rings+cover. It's more expensive but solves the problem. At this point I honestely prefer to pay more and fix it myself than keep sending back transmitters :)

I ended up giving the sensor to a dive shop for battery replacement + pressure tests. Cost: 70€ 😬

An updated on this story:

Regarding the D6i, after talking with suunto they asked me to sent the computer back to them, so I did. It had to be shipped to Spain since there are only Level 1 affiliates in Portugal.

Regarding the sensor, I complained to amazon about the replacement also being shipped with depleted batteries.

Since I decided to keep it and pay for the new battery myself they offered me a 10% refund which pays for half of the battery replacement by a local dive shop. (BTW, those kits with the battery, o-ring and cover are no longer available. Suunto requires all replacements to be done by their affiliates).

The problem with this is that we have absolutely no way of knowing the status of the battery. The D-family computers do not tell you the charge remaining, just a low-battery warning. So, when buying online you have no way of knowing if it'll last for 1, 2, 10, 50 or 200 dives.

Conclusion: Don't buy suunto gear online and be prepared for lengthy service interventions. If buying sensors ask for a test on the LDS since they only come alive when pressurized.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom