Info Suunto reliability: Transmitter batteries DOA and computer lock up during dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An updated on this story:

Regarding the D6i, after talking with suunto they asked me to sent the computer back to them, so I did. It had to be shipped to Spain since there are only Level 1 affiliates in Portugal.

Regarding the sensor, I complained to amazon about the replacement also being shipped with depleted batteries.

Since I decided to keep it and pay for the new battery myself they offered me a 10% refund which pays for half of the battery replacement by a local dive shop. (BTW, those kits with the battery, o-ring and cover are no longer available. Suunto requires all replacements to be done by their affiliates).

The problem with this is that we have absolutely no way of knowing the status of the battery. The D-family computers do not tell you the charge remaining, just a low-battery warning. So, when buying online you have no way of knowing if it'll last for 1, 2, 10, 50 or 200 dives.

Conclusion: Don't buy suunto gear online and be prepared for lengthy service interventions. If buying sensors ask for a test on the LDS since they only come alive when pressurized.
There are tons of resources on replacing the batteries DIY, do not waste your money on this.

Reminds me that those straps wear out and break too.

That is why I never upgraded to d series, poor design on straps. I wore a stinger for 20 years every day and replaced the strap 3 times which I think is reasonable.

I lost a D4i during a dive.

@tggm I saw people adding a bungee to make a secondary strap in case the straps break. I wish I had done this :)

I never had one of the straps to break, but I did have a pin to break once right after a dive when I was taking the DC off my wrist. When I replaced the pin, I switched to a NATO strap so that if a pin ever broke again, the DC would still be on my wrist.

They had an extension strap. I put a bungee through that tied into a loop. This meant that if either end broke (at the clasp holes, the weak spots) then the other end would still be attached so Neptune wouldn’t have another shiny trinklet to adorn his locker.

Tiny update: Sent the D6i to suunto. Came back with a new pressure sensor at no charge. No questions asked.

Computer has 10 logged dives and is less than 3 months old. Maybe I'm just unlucky :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom