1973 Silver AquaLung Professional AL Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought that even "bad alloy" tanks are serviceable if they receive a visual plus (and pass hydro).

Trur, but a lot of shops won't fill aluminum tanks made before 1990.

The bad alloy was 6351-T6. Aluminum tanks were made with this alloy under special permit until 1988. Due to weaknesses in the necks of some tanks made of this alloy, there were some tanks that exploded, killing or injuring several people. All Walter Kidde aluminum tanks and Luxfer aluminum tanks up to about mid 1988 were made from this alloy. US Divers branded tanks were also made from this alloy. Most dive shops will not fill aluminum tanks older than 1990. Catalina cylinders have never used the 6351-T6 alloy and there have never been any problems with them. Even so, they are usually lumped in with othe AL tanks and many shops will not fill the ones from before 1990.

List of Scuba Tanks Made From 6351-T6 Alloy

What Years did Luxfer Produce Scuba Tanks Made From a Bad Alloy? | eHow.com

Learn and talk about Sustained load cracking, Diving equipment, Metallurgy

Bad al tank.jpg

Most dive shops will not fill aluminum tanks older than 1990. Catalina cylinders have never used the 6351-T6 alloy and there have never been any problems with them.

When I moved to Miami in 2006, some shops were refusing to fill any over 15-year-old aluminium tank regardless of alloy.

When I moved to Miami in 2006, some shops were refusing to fill any over 15-year-old aluminium tank regardless of alloy.

That's hilarious.

I've seen a 1913 oxygen bottle before for an oxy-acetylene setup. It was interesting, it had a square bottom. It was also running out of neck space for hydro dates. I've also seen a fair share of Waffennampt stamped Linde-imported gas cylinders. They just keep passing hydro, so why stop using them?

Mandated obsolescence is dumb.

That's hilarious.

I've seen a 1913 oxygen bottle before for an oxy-acetylene setup. It was interesting, it had a square bottom. It was also running out of neck space for hydro dates. I've also seen a fair share of Waffennampt stamped Linde-imported gas cylinders. They just keep passing hydro, so why stop using them?

Mandated obsolescence is dumb.

The tanks you mention were made of steel. Different animal. The OP's tank is aluminum.

If they pass the hydro and the ve as the dot req. and dont over fill like the 8 in fl. and 3 in nj. the one in central am. on the com. lob. diver it was used for 3 weeks with the cracked neck I dont know about the one com.diver in the dam if they are all unsafe they would have been taking out of service in the early 90s how about the usdivers life time grantee for the org. buyer if I see a current hydro with ve after it I fill

The fact is that most shops, right or wrong, regardless, will not fill the OPs "new" tank.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom