1973 Silver AquaLung Professional AL Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Attrayant

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys, I just picked up this AquaLung Professional aluminum tank at a local surplus shop.
photo 1 (1).jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3 (2).jpg

It looks to be in great shape, like it has only seen a few dives then stuck in someones garage and forgotten about. Can anyone give me some info on these silver models? I've seen plenty of the yellow ones with the similar decals but never silver, which is what geared me towards buying it. It only has two hydro stamps, 73 & 78, and a Canadian VIP.

What diameter? The silver "Professionals" we have in the shop are the +11 lb "floater" aluminum tanks.

What diameter? The silver "Professionals" we have in the shop are the +11 lb "floater" aluminum tanks.

Looks to me like a standard al80 to me, 23" around, about 27" neck to bottom.

The Tank's age and the "SP6498" indicates it was made from the bad alloy.

In 1973 it is the first or second year that they made the AL80.

In 1971 they made the AL72 and the working pressure was 2475 psi.

Thanks for everyone's responses. I must confess, I don't know very much about these older tanks. I didn't even know there was a "bad" alloy until I saw the post and did some research. I wasn't planning on diving it anyways. I just thought it was a neat looking piece and in good condition for the age, figured I'd stick it in a corner of a room with some other dive stuff. Do these have any collector appeal or value?

Oh yeah, I forgot the floaters were 2475...nonetheless, still horrible to dive with.

The J valve is worth a few bucks and the tank is worth about $15 as scrap aluminum. Collector value,zero.

I thought that even "bad alloy" tanks are serviceable if they receive a visual plus (and pass hydro).

have a hydro and ve done it will prob. pass not much to lose the valve and scrap value should be much more then you payed in oakland we can buy them from 25 to 50$

Back
Top Bottom