Can't read most numbers on an old steel 72 tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

  • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Messages
7,568
Reaction score
6,357
Location
California
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently acquired a steel 72 from 1969 that was vinyl coated. It had some areas that were broken through and had some rust so I stripped off all the vinyl coating and painted it. I had to use a pick to get all the vinyl out of the stampings, but they were all there. I used a stripper wheel on a small angle grinder which didn’t remove any significant steel. There was a some rust pitting in areas under the vinyl that showed no outward signs of rust, so I’m glad I stripped it. I ended up lightly sand blasting the rusted areas and then overall to give the primer something to bite onto.
I painted it with Awl Grip which is a marine system, I had the stuff around so decided to use it up. I used their epoxy primer followed by their Linear polyurethane topcoat.
After it was painted it went to hydro and it passed no problem.
Mine was bare steel underneath.
Just a hunch, but I somehow doubt that they would have vinyl coated a galvanized tank from the factory. That would be redundant and no reason to do that.
 

captain

Contributor
Messages
11,624
Reaction score
13,461
Location
Laplace, LA
I recently acquired a steel 72 from 1969 that was vinyl coated. It had some areas that were broken through and had some rust so I stripped off all the vinyl coating and painted it. I had to use a pick to get all the vinyl out of the stampings, but they were all there. I used a stripper wheel on a small angle grinder which didn’t remove any significant steel. There was a some rust pitting in areas under the vinyl that showed no outward signs of rust, so I’m glad I stripped it. I ended up lightly sand blasting the rusted areas and then overall to give the primer something to bite onto.
I painted it with Awl Grip which is a marine system, I had the stuff around so decided to use it up. I used their epoxy primer followed by their Linear polyurethane topcoat.
After it was painted it went to hydro and it passed no problem.
Mine was bare steel underneath.
Just a hunch, but I somehow doubt that they would have vinyl coated a galvanized tank from the factory. That would be redundant and no reason to do that.
Some were galvanize under vinyl, personal experience.
 

Top Bottom