Trip Report Back from visit #6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morecowbells

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
ONLINE IMMIGRATION:
Online immigration forms were done ahead of time. We carried printed copies with us. During our flight, the attendants handed out immigration forms. We decided to fill them out in case there was an issue with our copies. Our flight landed at the same time as a massive KLM vessel. We hustled like Usain Bolt to get to security before the influx of people. We waited about 10 minutes tops. The security agent running the passport scanners was a real charmer. She was airing her grievances about how we were going to break her machine while scanning our passports (pretty much gripping and sniping at everyone she encountered). Fortunately, we managed to get our bags and out of the airport in 15 minutes tops.

CAR RENTAL:
We used D and D car rental and were very pleased with the experience. 5-minute shuttle ride to rental car parking lot and only a few minutes signing paperwork. Our Kia was in great shape and had ample trunk space. My only gripe is the rear window was heavily tinted which made it difficult to see through when backing up etc.

ACCOMMODATIONS:
This was our second time staying at the Marazul Resort. In the evenings, many guests would gather around the picnic tables and watch the sunset. It was always a great way to spend happy hour. Everybody was friendly and welcoming. The units we have stayed in would be best described as no-frills but comfortable, peaceful and had everything we needed, including a wash machine. Showers had hot water and the a/c units worked great.

DIVING LOGISTICS:
Our plan was to shore dive with the exception of an afternoon boat dive at Watamula. We planned on splitting our Nitrox tank rentals from both Go West and Dive N’(at Rancho Sobrino). I had corresponded with both dive ops, received quotes and per request of Dive N’, we booked Nitrox tanks ahead of time as they are only available with advance notice. When my husband arrived at Dive N’, they did not have our request, nor did they carry any Nitrox tanks. Instead, we used Go West for all tank rentals. I have always been a fan of Go West. They have always been professional, clean and the staff friendly and helpful. My only gripe, is carrying the tanks from filling room and the steps. On the parking lot level, they have regular tanks available. I know Nitrox skeptics will question why I am so hung up on using Nitrox. Several years ago, I got the skin bends in Roatan. I have not had the issue recur since using Nitrox. I wish it was more accessible and easier to load/unload.

OUR DIVES:
After a four absence from Curacao, I had to ask myself “why”? The diving did not disappoint. The marine life and schools of fish were more abundant than other visits to the island. I felt the coral was healthier and more vibrant than many other areas of the Caribbean. My favorite dives were in front of the Marazul and Playa Kalki (heading north). The Marazul had concrete steps to a concrete platform which sat up a few feet from the ocean. You could either use a ladder or giant stride into the ocean. Steps are thick and high. I had to sit down and take a rest about half way up. The key benefit to this dive site is the short swim out to reefs. One morning we headed to Playa Grande. We wanted to get a head start on the crowds who swim around the pier to watch the turtles arrive for their feeding scraps courtesy of the fisherman. We must have seen at least six turtles, including a Loggerhead. I have mixed feelings about this attraction. I feel it is a disaster waiting to happen. On the other hand, perhaps it will increase the public’s affection towards the turtles and enhance conservation efforts. It was at this dive site that we encountered out first bait ball. While this encounter may be common for many divers, it was exciting to witness and finally swim amidst one.

My least favorite dives sites presented an epic surprise as they ranked as my favorites several years ago. We visited the San Juan sites of Playa Manzalino and Playa Shon Moso. The weather was temperamental with some rough seas. We decided to eschew the Playa Largu portion since the entry looked dicey. In the past, I raved about these sites. This time around, I felt the marine life was lacking and the coral health was average at best. I used to have a boss who would ask “is the juice worth the squeeze?” These sites embraced that analogy. The distance traveled and the drive on rough, rutted dirt roads coupled with mediocre diving was not worth the time or energy. Perhaps we visited on a bad day, but I will stick to the other sites.

FOOD!:
For our meals we visited Sunshine’s a couple of times. I can always count on her place providing gratifying meals in a lovely setting. We also got to try some new places. Cactus Café was a wonderful perk! Service was always prompt and the food was delicious and reasonably priced. We also had a couple of dinners at the Ocean View Restaurant and Bar (at the Blue View apartments). Service was so-so, the food was actually quite fresh and tasty. One night we went to Rancho Sobrino. I saw plenty seated customers looking peevish, asking server the whereabouts of their food. We decided to go elsewhere. In the past, I had some decent meals there, perhaps this was an off night. While Landhaus Misje has a limited menu, the food was very good and the portions generous.

THE END:
In summary, I am hoping to return to Curacao next year. I will have to figure out a better strategy for obtaining Nitrox tanks or just dive regular tanks (yes, it is a first world problem). On our outbound flight, AA had a mechanical issue and cancelled our flight from St. Louis to Miami. Ordinarily I would freak out about this, however, we were simply placed on a different flight out of Charlotte. Had this been a Bonaire vacation, with the limited flights, it could have been a major misfortune and possible vacation crusher. The abundance of flights and superb diving have strongly influenced our bias towards Curacao.
flounder.jpg
green2.jpg
green5.jpg
pretty.jpg
turtal.jpg
spotted3.jpg

Great write up, we are there at the end of April. And I'm stealing the pic of the smiling Moray.

Is there a beer on Curaçao that is better than most? That's kind of a silly question because I know I will try them all!

Thanks,
Jay

@scubadada, our special sighting was the baitball(presently unable to attach video) and Loggerhead turtle. Otherwise, it was all the usual suspects. @Jayfarmlaw , I am jealous that you are going to Curacao so soon! The beer question is not a silly on at all. My husband brews his own beer and is a major beer snob. Unfortunately, the beer selections were bleak. I am happy with a vodka tonic. Every place was able to concoct that request.

Thanks for the report and taking the time @morecowbells
I have 5 trips and 9 weeks on Bonaire, but have yet to go to Curacao. You have obviously been there numerous times and I know you have Bonaire experience, as well.

I am not looking for a full blown breakdown and comparison, but I am curious as to the following:

If you were going to sell someone (me) on why they, or (I) should choose Curacao over Bonaire for a dive vacation, what would you say?
1. Eliminate airfare and airfare costs- they are relative
2. Eliminate food and beverage unless you think it is a strong thing to consider (see 3F below)
3. Eliminate the quality of the beaches- I already know that Curacao wins that comparison hand down!
4. Focus (for me) would be on the following:
A) Cost of diving (Assume mostly shore diving)
B) Ease of dive site access from shore (entry and exit and distance from shore to reef)
C) Ease of picking up and dropping off tanks on a daily basis (assume 4 dives per day at various sites)
D) Ease of getting to and driving to and from multiple dive sites and getting tanks on a given day
E) Are you going to be assured of seeing something in Curacao that you wouldn't in Bonaire? or assured of seeing something more regularly?
F) Proximity to the best diving; in relation to the proximity of where most people would choose to stay during a given week or two
1) I guess this question would relate to a perception I have (perceived or real) that the best places to stay, best access to decent food (restaurant and otherwise), best access to night life is very different from the best diving?

Sorry for the numbering/lettering and formatting of the above. I should have done that in Microsoft Word and copied and pasted. Lesson learned! Visually annoying!

Very jealous of that spotted drum photo. Have never achieved one quite like it.

This was our second time staying at the Marazul Resort.

Why there? You've been before so you knew what you were doing. Is it something about the resort, the location in terms or proximity to either the Westpunt end (allegedly better diving, and since you used GoWest for tanks I'm assuming it's out that way?) or something else? What put Marazul ahead of your other options in that area?

Our plan was to shore dive with the exception of an afternoon boat dive at Watamula.

Since you've been to both and from what I infer from various threads it's simply to pack in shore diving in Bonaire (at least large numbers of them), aside from the larger number of flights, anything else you preferred about your Marazul stay on Curacao vs. your Bonaire experiences? Things people considering both islands might like to know?

My perceptions would be:
A) I believe the tank rentals are similar. Bonaire does have better deals with Notrox
B) Overall, Curacao dives require a slightly longer swim out to the reef from the shoreline. However, the entries in Curacao are far more gentle.
C) If you are staying at a place like All West Apartments, you are all set with tank availability and convenience. Other resorts on the East end of the island may have a similar system. It is difficult to beat the system of Dive Friends in Bonaire where you can do a drive through tank pick up and exchange.
D) In Curacao there is a greater distance between dive sites. Typically we would pick a site, dive to the right, take our Surface interval then head left. Typically, we only do two dives a day. For the hard core divers who do 4+, Bonaire will offer more bang for the buck.
E) Similar critters between the two islands. I think there are more eels and turtles in Curacao. I find the reefs and underwater topography in Curacao more interesting and colorful.
F) I stay in the more remote West end of the island. I think that is where the best diving sites are. Most of the resorts are in the East end. Many people split their vacations between the two. For more restaurants, shops and nightlife, the West End may disappoint.

Very jealous of that spotted drum photo. Have never achieved one quite like it.

Why there? You've been before so you knew what you were doing. Is it something about the resort, the location in terms or proximity to either the Westpunt end (allegedly better diving, and since you used GoWest for tanks I'm assuming it's out that way?) or something else? What put Marazul ahead of your other options in that area?

Since you've been to both and from what I infer from various threads it's simply to pack in shore diving in Bonaire (at least large numbers of them), aside from the larger number of flights, anything else you preferred about your Marazul stay on Curacao vs. your Bonaire experiences? Things people considering both islands might like to know?

I actually found a much smaller spotted drum, but the photo blurred. For diving convenience, the All West Apartments are a better bet; however, they book far in advance. The Marazul units are just a few doors down from All West. The advantage staying there is a swimming pool and units are two levels. There was a bathroom on each floor which worked out using the lower level shower an area to rinse and store gear. The units are Marazul are more aesthetic pleasing as well. I wish they had an on site area for tank rental and drop off. We have had very positive experiences in Bonaire. I prefer the ease and short distance between dive sites and dining. There is more driving involved with Curacao. However, the ease of getting to and from is hands down Curacao.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom