Trip Report Sea of Cortez on Rocio del Mar, September 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great report and your photos really pop. Did you encounter much current or surge underwater?
We really did not. There is always that possibility though. We had just one dive where we had some variable current, but the DM was in tune to it and as long as you stayed behind him, you were good. He poked his mask around the point of a reef we had come to the end of and felt the current coming at him and turned us back from whence we came. They know the dive sites super well and the pre dive briefings were excellent. Their goal was to ensure fun, safe and enjoyable dives that put no one at risk and they succeeded.

I think this itinerary is tailor made for you and what you enjoy. You may find the accommodations a bit tight, but you endured and enjoyed your Channel Islands trip with Truth Aquatics, so this would be total luxury by comparison to those accommodations. Pick an August or September itinerary when the water is at its best. Or splurge on a 13 day point to point explore Baja trip that is offered only 6 weeks out of the year from mid September to the end ne of October.

Thanks for the another great write up! I am eyeing a trip to the Sea Of Cortez and really appreciate the tip about bus transport from Phoenix.

Great report and your photos really pop. Did you encounter much current or surge underwater?
You can also get HP steel 100’s for an additional $50. We opted to rent them, but not for the additional air (not necessary for these dives). We own steel tanks and accustomed to diving them. Moreover, it removes a lot of lead.

You can also get HP steel 100’s for an additional $50. We opted to rent them, but not for the additional air (not necessary for these dives). We own steel tanks and accustomed to diving them. Moreover, it removes a lot of lead.
Same reason I went with the steel 100’s. Didn’t need the extra air. Just loved not having to carry any lead at all with my setup.

Same reason I went with the steel 100’s. Didn’t need the extra air. Just loved not having to carry any lead at all with my setup.
Oops, you talked about the 100’s in your initial post! Sorry, your thread popped the night before we left and I should have reread it. Nice nudis! So how far out of the water did you have your camera to get the shot of the sea lions on the rocks? Did you take those with your Sea Life camera?

Oops, you talked about the 100’s in your initial post! Sorry, your thread popped the night before we left and I should have reread it. Nice nudis! So how far out of the water did you have your camera to get the shot of the sea lions on the rocks? Did you take those with your Sea Life camera?
I actually took those fotos of the sea lions on the rocks post dive back on the RIB before we returned to the big boat. Camera still in housing. My iPhone 12 Pro+ inside my sea life sport diver housing.

I actually took those fotos of the sea lions on the rocks post dive back on the RIB before we returned to the big boat. Camera still in housing. My iPhone 12 Pro+ inside my sea life sport diver housing.

That’s amazing, especially the nudibranch. So is the iPhone/Sealife your main camera rig now?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom