Torn Between Two Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for your replies. They have gotten my wheels turning. Here are some follow up thoughts:

1 The Perdix sounds ideal, but in all honesty, I would feel silly having this be my first computer. It has all the hallmarks of being my next and probably last computer. Getting a good exposure suit is the very next thing on my list, so I have to be reasonable.
If you are seriously considering the PERDIX as your next computer but it is currently above your budget, then I think you have your answer. The Peregrine and the PERDIX use the same model (Bulmann) so if you get the Peregrine now, when you do move up to the PERDIX, it will not only be a very familiar layout for the info, but you will be able to use your Peregrine as a backup and know that the info will be virtually identical between the two computers for any given dive profile even over several days of multiple dives per day (like on a LOB for example).

The layout and manipulation of the menus will be very similar. If you see a PERDIX down the road in your future, then a Peregrine would be your logical entry level starting point.

Another option is to buy the Perdix AI now and the transmitter later when it can be afforded....just a thought

So here is my Suunto customer service story, based on what I have read on SB it may not be representative of what is typical.

When I started diving and purchasing my kit I wanted AI but due to all the other gear I was buying a watch style computer and transmitter was not in the budget. I was shown and sold a Suunto Cobra 3. At the time it checked off all the boxes.

It does have a digital compass. I found I didn’t use it very much and when I would want to use it it was often locked up and needed to be calibrated, yes I could have done it each time before I dove but again I didn’t use it all that often.

Two years or so ago I bought a 2nd computer running Buhlmann 16, I quickly
relegated the Suunto as back up and
SPG. I quickly found the Suunto was more liberal on the 1st dive but on dive 2 I would often be putting it into deco, while I had ample time on the other.

At the very end of last year on some training dives the Suunto died, it was the dreaded pressure sensor. At first I was pretty stoked as I figured I would get a new computer, I went online filled out all the forums and sent it in. Online it said based on the serial number it would qualify. As I was waiting for it all to process I read the terms again. It said it covered computers for 5 years old or less, mine was 6 and I sent an invoice clearly showing that. I was filled with dread, not only would I not get a new computer but I just paid to ship it back to be told so. Well then I get the email, my new computer was shipped. This was a pleasant surprise, considering all I had read about Suunto customer service.

A few days later a box with a brand new computer showed up. I promptly threw into the box the stupid priority download cable and sold it. I took that money and some more and bought a Shearwater.

Hi @Patrick Star

The Peregrine is a very capable computer for the new diver through early technical training, up until you add helium for trimix training. The Sport Nitrox mode is all most divers would need, single gas and a NDL planner. The Advanced Nitrox mode allows 3 gases and includes a decompression planner. Both modes have 3 standard preset levels of conservatism and also allow for a custom setting, once you have a good understanding of the Buhlmann ZH-L16C deco algorithm with gradient factors. I find the SurfGF very useful in executing my safety stop or last deco stop.

The Suunto Vyper appears to be a little less expensive, but, also requires an optional download cable that nearly equalizes the prices. The price of the Suunto transmitter is more than the computer, around $400. Others have already discussed the Suunto RGBM deco algorithm.

If I were in your shoes, I would get the Peregrine and an analog wrist compass.

Good luck in your computer purchase.

Only if you pay 80 Euro for the upgrade and you cannot upgrade it yourself. A big non plus for me.

How to get the Bühlmann algorithm to your EON Steel?

Not really relevant for someone purchasing new. A fee is only charged if an existing owner wants the Bühlmann upgrade on an Eon Steel over two years old. My Eon Steel is less than two years old and while I did need to ship it, it was painless and shipping was covered by Suunto.

The new Eon Steel Black should be available soon and will come standard with both algorithms and future upgrades are done remotely.

Suunto detractors , at least for the Steel, will need to drop the lack of Bühlmann from their list of Eon Steel disadvantages.

Suunto_Buhlmann_Update.jpg

At the very end of last year on some training dives the Suunto died, it was the dreaded pressure sensor. At first I was pretty stoked as I figured I would get a new computer, I went online filled out all the forums and sent it in. Online it said based on the serial number it would qualify. As I was waiting for it all to process I read the terms again. It said it covered computers for 5 years old or less, mine was 6 and I sent an invoice clearly showing that. I was filled with dread, not only would I not get a new computer but I just paid to ship it back to be told so. Well then I get the email, my new computer was shipped. This was a pleasant surprise, considering all I had read about Suunto customer service.

This post points out something I learned years ago working in the airline-travel industry. A customer who has a bad experience will tell as many people about the horrid issue. A customer who has a good experience tends to share that information with a small group of people in their inner circle. This explains why one can see so many negative comments online. Sadly, many people are not aware of this and think what they read online or hear from others is the norm.

1 The Perdix sounds ideal, but in all honesty, I would feel silly having this be my first computer. It has all the hallmarks of being my next and probably last computer. Getting a good exposure suit is the very next thing on my list, so I have to be reasonable.

Why would you feel silly? I feel silly buying my wife and I a pair of Atomic Colbalt 2's as our first dive computer. If I would have bought us the Perdix's instead at the beginning I would have been a $2400 richer genius.

If by being reasonable you mean you don't want to spend the money for it, that's a better reason.

One option to consider if you don’t want to spend $1000 plus now but think you may advance your diving in the future is the Divesoft Freedom (or the Deep6 version). Although the Basic Nitrox version costs more than the Peregrine, it does allow you to upgrade the software in the future if needed (Advanced Nitrox, Trimix, or even CCR). In effect, you can pay as you go to make it your primary technical computer or a great backup should you ever go down the technical road. It does not have AI or a compass but can be used as a nitrox/oxygen analyser with an additional cable and sensor. Some display options on it make the screen very readable for older eyes and I’ve had a few Shearwater users comment that they may prefer it to their own display. As you probably guessed by now, I’m biased here, as I have one and like it a lot. Nevertheless, had I not got a screaming deal on it I would have gone with the Perdix at the time. Going back to your original question, my vote is for the Peregrine over the Suunto for reasons already mentioned.

Why would you feel silly? I feel silly buying my wife and I a pair of Atomic Colbalt 2's as our first dive computer. If I would have bought us the Perdix's instead at the beginning I would have been a $2400 richer genius.

If by being reasonable you mean you don't want to spend the money for it, that's a better reason.
Great reason to buy the cheapest one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom