First Dive Computer Peregrine or Perdix 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I caved and returned my Peregrine and bought a Perdix 2 from my local LDS. There were some good secondary market deals but I felt better buying new locally. Next up….a Swift transmitter (they were out). The AI and battery sold me. Either you have AI or you don’t and I want it.

It was the battery over other AI ones when I got my perdix.

So if you have the Perdix 2 now, don’t use any regular AA battery in it. Shearwater recommends Energizer Ultimate Lithium only. Not sure which AA it came with. Switch it out if necessary.

I caved and returned my Peregrine and bought a Perdix 2 from my local LDS. There were some good secondary market deals but I felt better buying new locally. Next up….a Swift transmitter (they were out). The AI and battery sold me. Either you have AI or you don’t and I want it.
Just an FYI. If your local dealer has PPS (Oceanic, Aqualung, etc.) transmitters, those will work just fine as well. The feature that the Swift has that these do not only comes into play when you have multiple transmitters on a rig. The Swift listens for other transmitters, and can vary the transmit interval to avoid collisions. The PPS transmitters just transmit on a set interval.

For the diving you described, I'm assuming a single tank and reg. In that case the PPS transmitters will work just fine.

I agree with Marie. Unless you can't get any other batteries, don't use alkaline AAs. Energizer Lithiums are great, or other versions as well. Personally, I use rechargeable Lithiums. They have shorter life compared to the Energizer, but the Perdix can more accurately predict remaining life. I believe the Energizers just show a 3 stage value (Good, Warning, Critical).

Hah!

I’ve seen this movie before.

SPOILER ALERT

Here’s how the plot unfolds.

You’re going to get some dives in with the Perdix and get to know it.

Next, out of curiosity you’re going to go cruising around its OC Tec configuration during your SI and wonder what stuff means.

This will lead to conversations with other divers and you’re going to learn about really planning your own dive like the big kids do.

A few dives later, you’re going to be on a big wall, like the size of a skyscraper, and there’ll be a couple of cats who go dive bombing right past you at 38m like nobody’s business and just disappear into the inky blue.

Then you’re going to listen to them gloat about all the cool stuff they saw while they’re syncing their data from their Perdix DCs to their smartphone.

The rest will be history.

Just an FYI. If your local dealer has PPS (Oceanic, Aqualung, etc.) transmitters, those will work just fine as well. The feature that the Swift has that these do not only comes into play when you have multiple transmitters on a rig. The Swift listens for other transmitters, and can vary the transmit interval to avoid collisions. The PPS transmitters just transmit on a set interval.
The Shearwater Swift cost $395, the Oceanic PPS transmitter cost $400.

Oceanic/Huish will replace a nonfunctional transmitter, out of warranty, for just $120 Oceanic Services - Oceanic Worldwide. I have dived an Oceanic VT3 for 12 1/2 years, more than 1800 dives. I have had the transmitter replaced twice, 1 hardware failure and 1 over pressure valve failure. I don't believe that Shearwater or any other brand of PPS transmitter has a policy like this. I saved $560 in transmitter replacement costs. I have had Teric since May 2019 and run it off the same transmitter as my VT3.

Hah!

I’ve seen this movie before.

SPOILER ALERT

Here’s how the plot unfolds.

You’re going to get some dives in with the Perdix and get to know it.

Next, out of curiosity you’re going to go cruising around its OC Tec configuration during your SI and wonder what stuff means.

This will lead to conversations with other divers and you’re going to learn about really planning your own dive like the big kids do.

A few dives later, you’re going to be on a big wall, like the size of a skyscraper, and there’ll be a couple of cats who go dive bombing right past you at 38m like nobody’s business and just disappear into the inky blue.

Then you’re going to listen to them gloat about all the cool stuff they saw while they’re syncing their data from their Perdix DCs to their smartphone.

The rest will be history.
You spent a little more on the Perdix than you would've on the Peregrine, but that'll pale in comparison to what you're going to spend on helium. And then you'll get tired of OC trimix and you'll get a rebreather.

All because you weren't happy with the Peregrine.

You spent a little more on the Perdix than you would've on the Peregrine, but that'll pale in comparison to what you're going to spend on helium. And then you'll get tired of OC trimix and you'll get a rebreather.

This is too funny…all because I chose a nicer computer that could do more. Going down the path doesn’t sound half bad at all!

To folks dismissing the conversation completely as absurd or a stupid question...

In my experience (recreational guide and instructor for 10+ years, technical instructor and guide for ~10, cave instructor and guide for ~5) OW divers tend to be a LOT scarier in terms of their safety or lack thereof. Many frequently not even realising the amount of danger they put themselves into and needing to be pulled out of it by a DM.

Cave divers, on the other hand,
This is too funny…all because I chose a nicer computer that could do more. Going down the path doesn’t sound half bad at all!

That's me except the cave.

I figure when I outgrow the Perdix I'll be shopping for a submarine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom