First Dive Computer Peregrine or Perdix 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I envision doing traveling to where we go to the Bahamas, or the Caribbean, rather, and dive in warm waters. I would really like to dive shipwrecks at some point, primarily I envision myself taking a boat, and diving at the channel Islands, or doing shore dives. My main goal is buying at least nice enough equipment that I will not hesitate to go out more so than if I had better stuff. IE air integration, drysuit, etc. of course, I don’t want to just go buy the best stuff to begin with in case I find out that I am more of a traveling, recreational diver, as opposed to making it part of my lifestyle.

I have been fairly consistent and incorporating new things into my life over the years. Weight lifting as an example, running, taking care of my two dogs, and most recently having a child with that said, there is only so much time. My real hope for scuba would be going out at least once or twice a month nine months out of the year.

Please excuse some of the misspellings… I am using voice to text and trying to correct some of the misspellings manually

My suggestion would be to buy a Peregrine and see how it works for you. Used ones pop up here pretty regularly if you want to save a few bucks. If you find that you NEED air integration or a digital compass, you’ll be able to sell it easily and you can move up to the Perdix. If you find that the Peregine suits your needs, you won’t have wasted the extra money on a Perdix and features you don’t need.

The Peregrine is a great choice that is capable of all the diving you (and the vast majority of divers) will do unless you go the tech route. The main advantage of the Perdix for the average diver is the air integration, which is a nice to have not a need to have. Don't upgrade to the Perdix unless you can afford to get an air transmitter as well, but at that point your will paying more for nicer but not necessary.

Thank you!

My suggestion would be to buy a Peregrine and see how it works for you. Used ones pop up here pretty regularly if you want to save a few bucks. If you find that you NEED air integration or a digital compass, you’ll be able to sell it easily and you can move up to the Perdix. If you find that the Peregine suits your needs, you won’t have wasted the extra money on a Perdix and features you don’t need.

Thank you for the input. I am most likely going to keep my peregrine and not exchange it for the Perdix. Have to draw lines somewhere!

I think you’re in really good shape to start with the Peregrine. By the time you’re ready to outgrow it (it might be several seasons before then), you’ll have gotten some really, really good use out of it and I seriously doubt you’ll regret it.

Right now, if you bought a Perdix 2, you’d scroll through a mess of features you won’t use. I don’t know about you but I hate over-buying and under-using.

IMO, AI is a nice feature but I don’t think it’s essential. I have the 1st gen Perdix (I specifically chose the non-AI version) and do some nerd-level diving with it but don’t feel the least bit of need to upgrade.

Almost any computer will cover the vast majority of recreational divers needs. Especially if you’re a not particurally deep tropical diver.

For nearly a decade I dove on a simple mares puck. It met all of my needs. Any of the other similar computers fits those needs. There is even AI pucks and similar if you want that.

Recently I upgraded to an Suunto Eon Core so I can have two transmitters and watch my air as well as my daughter’s as she’s my dive partner. She’s getting the hand me down puck.

Peregrine is a great computer. I find myself enjoying my dives more now that I have all data on my Perdix instead of a console DC. Less effort for checking current data. Time to surface, air consumption rate, built in compass and tank pressure all on my wrist are winners to me. I bought a used Perdix AI with transmitter here for $850 and couldn't be happier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom