First Dive Computer Peregrine or Perdix 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaHusky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new diver and trying to decide between the two computers. My fear is that if I buy the Peregrine I will end up incurring the more costs in a few years if I do decide to upgrade to a more feature rich computer. My concern with the Perdix 2 is the opposite. That I won’t use the features and effectively waste 2 to 3x the costs. Any insight into this would be appreciated. Should I buy wants cry once or buy the cheaper computer and know that if I get into the sport more I can just sell it and buy the latest and greatest at that time.

I purchased a Deep6 Excursion as a backup to my Perdix AI. I'm very impressed at how closely it tracts the Perdix and at $300 is a steal. If AI is not a requirement for you, it would be a no-brainer (IMHO)

The Peregrine is a great choice that is capable of all the diving you (and the vast majority of divers) will do unless you go the tech route. The main advantage of the Perdix for the average diver is the air integration, which is a nice to have not a need to have. Don't upgrade to the Perdix unless you can afford to get an air transmitter as well, but at that point your will paying more for nicer but not necessary.

You can also sell the Peregrine down the road if you decide you really want AI or want to pursue technical diving.

AI and the built in compass are the lures for me. I just winder if spending 1k to remove a miflex hose with my SPG compass is actually worth it. I am leaning towards waiting and worst case selling my Peregrine if I start wanting AI bad. My only other thought on paying more now is if it would improve the experience so much that it makes me go more.

I literally just bought Bare Reactive 7mm, hydros pro BCD, Atomic B2 sealed and the Peregrine.

The peregrine to perdix 2, B2 to T3 are on my mind. I just can’t totally get on board due to the cost. They are not free upgrades by any means. In my mind going diving with a Drysuit and Perdix with air integration sounds pretty ideal. That is not where I’m at yet in terms of experience. Open water cert was done last year.

@ScubaHusky - could you describe the diving you envision doing when you’re more experienced?

Can you describe your other hobbies and levels of commitment to training for them?

The answers may provide some indicators to the best choice.

One Shearwater DC you can (perhaps) grow out of, the other grow into.

Both models are great products and typically sell very quickly here on SB.

@ScubaHusky - could you describe the diving you envision doing when you’re more experienced?

Can you describe your other hobbies and levels of commitment to training for them?

The answers may provide some indicators to the best choice.

One Shearwater DC you can (perhaps) grow out of, the other grow into.

Both models are great products and typically sell very quickly here on SB.

I envision doing traveling to where we go to the Bahamas, or the Caribbean, rather, and dive in warm waters. I would really like to dive shipwrecks at some point, primarily I envision myself taking a boat, and diving at the channel Islands, or doing shore dives. My main goal is buying at least nice enough equipment that I will not hesitate to go out more so than if I had better stuff. IE air integration, drysuit, etc. of course, I don’t want to just go buy the best stuff to begin with in case I find out that I am more of a traveling, recreational diver, as opposed to making it part of my lifestyle.

I have been fairly consistent and incorporating new things into my life over the years. Weight lifting as an example, running, taking care of my two dogs, and most recently having a child with that said, there is only so much time. My real hope for scuba would be going out at least once or twice a month nine months out of the year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom