Best dive computers for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could get a Perdix. I would at this price of UK pounds 611

I appreciate the input. I agree that buying quality equipment once that you can grow into is better than buying something cheap that will be replaced shortly afterwards.

I’m trying to find a quality dive computer that will last me a long time that also won’t break the bank. I’ve heard great things about the Shearwater Teric and Perdix but I’m not sure if I can afford them at this point.

Should I hold off and save up enough to buy a top of the line dive computer like the Teric or Perdix or would a Peregrine be good enough to serve me well for the next several years?

Potentially controversial opinion, but depending on how often you dive, I think there’s a lot to be said in favour of a dive computer that you also wear as an everyday watch. Hear me out:

Any UI that relies on a bunch of buttons on the side (most all watches) generally assumes that the user will build up some in-built knowledge about the UI - back button bottom left, confirm top right, that kind of thing. If you don’t innately understand the navigation logic (say, if you dive less than once a month?) it’s never going to be second nature under water.

I have a Garmin Mk2i. I’ll be the first to admit that it doesn’t have the most intuitive UI - but that doesn’t matter, because I use it every single day, and the dive computer mode is very similar in layout and nav to every other mode. As a result, I understand and can navigate it very easily, regardless of how long my surface interval is. I think this is something that frequent divers forget - Shearwater computers are great, but if you don’t use them all the time, they can be confusing. As a result, I think there’s something to be said from a familiarity/safety perspective from a smart watch/dive computer hybrid, regardless of everything else.

So, for my money, I’d take a look at the Garmin line (Mk2/Mk2S/G1). Even the G1 ($550) is a Buhlmann comp with trimix, a compass, great battery life, and is a solid daily smartwatch and workout watch. If you can get past not having a huge screen (which, I admit, is a downside), the Garmin comps have virtually every feature you could want in a dive computer, with the added benefit that you’ll wear it on your wrist and never be left scrabbling for the right button when it matters.

Which dive computers would you recommend for a new diver with a budget of up to $600?

I’m strongly considering buying a Shearwater Peregrine. I have heard several good reviews about the Peregrine and I like that it has a nice color screen and is in my price range.

However before I pull the trigger I would like to know if there are any other dive computers that are recommended in this price range.

Did you get enough opinions yet? When my family started diving 5 years ago, we bought a Mares Puck Pro, an Aqualung i300, and a Cressi Leonardo. They all worked absolutely fine for recreational NDL diving, and, in fact, I would probably say my personal favorite among those was the Mares Puck Pro (despite complaints you may hear about the one-button operation and the RGBM algorithm). It was just easy to use and we had no issues with it.

That being said, I finally bought a Shearwater Perdix as things got more advanced. If you buy a Perdix now, that's probably the only computer you will ever need.

The OP has not posted since the first page.
Maybe he has bought a computer, or is he still reading the ideas above.
Have you, are you ?

Hey everyone,

I appreciate all the responses. I never expected this topic to spark such a lengthy discussion.

I’ve narrowed down my choices to either the Shearwater Peregrine or Shearwater Perdix.

Overall with the type of diving I plan to do the Peregrine is more than sufficient. The only reason I am considering a Perdix is because I like that it gives me the option to utilize integrated air if I buy the transponder in the future.

I might wait a few more weeks to see if any holiday deals pop up for either of these models.

However because this has become such a robust discussion I don’t want the thread to be closed even once I buy my diver computer as I feel this discussion will be useful for several other people on this forum.

I have a Garmin Mk2i. I’ll be the first to admit that it doesn’t have the most intuitive UI - but that doesn’t matter, because I use it every single day, and the dive computer mode is very similar in layout and nav to every other mode. As a result, I understand and can navigate it very easily, regardless of how long my surface interval is. I think this is something that frequent divers forget - Shearwater computers are great, but if you don’t use them all the time, they can be confusing. As a result, I think there’s something to be said from a familiarity/safety perspective from a smart watch/dive computer hybrid, regardless of everything else.
I agree with you to some extent. A daily wear watch can help to overcome a less than optimal UI. I have both a Garmin and a Shearwater. I don't find the Garmin UI to be horrible, though out of the box it was a lot to figure out. I streamlined it a bit by moving things I don't use often out of the main activity loop. It is somewhat second nature now.

I disagree on the Shearwater interface being confusing, at least for the Perdix. I assume the Peregrine will be very similar, but can't comment on the Teric. No complicated button presses, short, long, etc. Soft labels easily identify what each button does at each step.
So, for my money, I’d take a look at the Garmin line (Mk2/Mk2S/G1). Even the G1 ($550) is a Buhlmann comp with trimix, a compass, great battery life, and is a solid daily smartwatch and workout watch. If you can get past not having a huge screen (which, I admit, is a downside), the Garmin comps have virtually every feature you could want in a dive computer, with the added benefit that you’ll wear it on your wrist and never be left scrabbling for the right button when it matters.
The Garmins do offer a lot for the money. But really only make sense if using as a daily wear smart/activity watch as well. Otherwise, there are other options that may fit the bill a bit better.
I’ve narrowed down my choices to either the Shearwater Peregrine or Shearwater Perdix.

Overall with the type of diving I plan to do the Peregrine is more than sufficient. The only reason I am considering a Perdix is because I like that it gives me the option to utilize integrated air if I buy the transponder in the future.
Air Integration is definitely a nice feature. I've been using it nearly exclusively since I got my first dive computer. The only drawback is the cost. You could save some money by buying a Perdix AI instead of a Perdix 2. Some shops may still have a few, or you can get a used one for a bit of a discount. If you do go the original Perdix route, make sure it's a Perdix AI not just the regular Perdix as you'll need the AI version for adding a transmitter later.

My wife has the former, and I have the latter (in AI). We are both very happy with our computers. My first computer was a Cressi Leonardo, which I would strongly recommend if you were going to be diving only occasionally (it's relatively inexpensive, has good features, tough, and can serve as a backup computer if you wish to progress). But it sounds like you caught the diving bug. God help you (and your wallet)! :)
I might wait a few more weeks to see if any holiday deals pop up for either of these models.
If you can get a deal, be ready to move on it. I've only seen deals at scuba shows and such. Also, don't poo-poo purchasing a 2nd hand unit (particularly the Perdix). As long as the original owner took care of it (and given the expense, most do), you can replace the O rings and have a very solid computer. I'm always shocked how many divers buy brand new equipment and then sell it all within a year or two.

The Garmins do offer a lot for the money. But really only make sense if using as a daily wear smart/activity watch as well. Otherwise, there are other options that may fit the bill a bit better.
I love my Garmin Mk2i, but I agree with this. If it isn't your everyday watch, it may not be worth the premium price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom