Best dive computers for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's just wrong. If you don't know, please don't guess as to how it works. That just confuses people.

Does the user adjust GF (H/L) directly or do they dial in a number corresponding to a conservatism factor (or %) where the GF to conservatism factor is set by SW?

the peregrine is the best for the price. the only big thing your missing is AI. but the computer allows growth. if you get to deco diving you will need a second computer so then get a perdix and use the peregrine as a backup sense it can be used as a deco computer for nitrox gases, no helium. if you get to a point that helium is needed rebreather is a better route and you will need a petrel with the rebreather and use the perdix as a back up.

The good thing with a Shearwater, they hold there value good enough that if you want to add AI to a non-AI computer by selling old and buying a new computer in the future.

Does the user adjust GF (H/L) directly or do they dial in a number corresponding to a conservatism factor (or %) where the GF to conservatism factor is set by SW?
Conservatism is selected from Low, Medium, High, or Custom, with the GF shown for each. If you select Custom the GF can modified as you wish.

Thank you for sending the link.

Actually page 25 doesn't address how the user can change conservatism for the Peregrine. The answer is actually on page 39 of the manual:

"Conservatism
3 preset conservatism levels are available. In order of
increasing conservatism:
Low (45/95)
Med (40/85)
High (35/75)
Medium conservatism is the default setting.
A custom GF option is also available in every dive
mode. If selected, GF Low and GF High fields will
appear in the Deco Menu"

Which is what @rongoodman was kind to point out in his earlier post. The user changes the conservatism to Low, Med or High only but SW shows him the corresponding GF. The computers allows the user to enter GF directly if the 3 settings aren't to his liking but SW warns strongly against playing with the GF's directly if the user doesn't know what they are doing.

You set your own level of conservatism; the Peregrine arrives set in Med.
1668632120529.png

On the screen it shows:
1668631991207.png

There is a very nice section that describes GFs.
1668631884110.png

Ratio gives a table showing the GF's for their conservatism factors in their recreational dive computers that don't allow the adjustment of GF directly:

View attachment 753772
So do people understand the meaning of those conservatism settings?

Can divers about to do an NDL dive with Buhlmann ZHL-16B understand the difference between the 90/90 setting and the 30/90 setting on their dives? Could you explain how an NDL dive will differ on those two settings?

As for the VPM-B, can they understand how those settings will differ on a NDL dive? How many technical divers will understand the difference on a technical dive? Do they understand what the word "conservatism" actually means in VPM-B? Can you explain it?

So do people understand the meaning of those conservatism settings?

Recreational divers only have to set the conservatism number, the higher the number, the more conservative their NDL will be.

Could you explain how an NDL dive will differ on those two settings?
I didn't write these tables, you can ask Ratio directly. I am not "defending" or "representing" Ratio here. I just copied a picture I had from a while ago showing the corresponding GF's for the conservatism factors in Ratio's recreational computers.

As for the VPM-B, can they understand how those settings will differ on a NDL dive? How many technical dives will understand the difference on a technical dive, including what the word "conservatism" actually means in VPM-B. Can you explain it?
I don't use VPM and I don't represent Ratio.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom