Best dive computers for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with you 100% especially as related to the GF thing for beginners. I have seen this happen frequently.
So a dive computer with Buhlmann ZHL-16c should have GFs set to 99/99?!?!?

I am strongly tempted by the GPS on the Garmin, though. That's the one thing that keeps the Teric from being perfect.
Agreed. The GPS on the Garmin is pretty sweet. As is the no action required dive log transfer.

Reactions: L13
I appreciate the input. I agree that buying quality equipment once that you can grow into is better than buying something cheap that will be replaced shortly afterwards.

I’m trying to find a quality dive computer that will last me a long time that also won’t break the bank. I’ve heard great things about the Shearwater Teric and Perdix but I’m not sure if I can afford them at this point.

Should I hold off and save up enough to buy a top of the line dive computer like the Teric or Perdix or would a Peregrine be good enough to serve me well for the next several years?
For new divers, it's hard to say what is best until you (the diver) understands what type of diving you are going to do and what features you would actually use. Then there's things like your age (my arms are no longer long enough for my reading eyes), the cool factor (do you want that HUD), etc. If it's at all possible, talk to your dive shop and buddies to see if you could use their computer on a dive or two. I had an initial computer (years ago) that was a wrist mount and I never liked it and still don't - but other divers ONLY want wrist mounts. So there are a LOT of factors. I would caution against too high end of computer to start unless you know that's the diving and feature set you know you want. You might pay for a lot and not use or even like it. A lower end (I'd assume minimum nitrox) may be good for a while until you start to realize what it does and doesn't do for you. It needs to do what you need it to for the type of diving you have planned. Then buy the one that fits your likes and needs.

Agreed. The GPS on the Garmin is pretty sweet. As is the no action required dive log transfer.
Yes, I'm probably going to buy that or some other computer purely for the GPS capability for when I start searching for ancient wrecks

Yes, I'm probably going to buy that or some other computer purely for the GPS capability for when I start searching for ancient wrecks
They just added a new feature that seems like it could help for stuff like that. Not sure if I'll use it just yet, but possibly. They added an app called Reference Point. Basically is supposed to guide you to a previously marked spot. Can use previously loaded GPS coordinates, or Entry or Exit point from previous dives. So, if you find a wreck, and ascend from it on a calm day, using the exit point should get you right to it in the future.

They just added a new feature that seems like it could help for stuff like that. Not sure if I'll use it just yet, but possibly. They added an app called Reference Point. Basically is supposed to guide you to a previously marked spot. Can use previously loaded GPS coordinates, or Entry or Exit point from previous dives. So, if you find a wreck, and ascend from it on a calm day, using the exit point should get you right to it in the future.
Yeah, that's what I need. I need to take a GPS measurement as soon as I surface as the wind is probably going to move me fairly quickly and calling up the boat with my Nautilus radio (first gen) will probably result in a fair bit of drifting. I'll also take compass headings at the same time.

Yeah, that's what I need. I need to take a GPS measurement as soon as I surface as the wind is probably going to move me fairly quickly and calling up the boat with my Nautilus radio (first gen) will probably result in a fair bit of drifting. I'll also take compass headings at the same time.
You used to be able to do that with the 1st Gen Nautilus radio as well. I don't think it works quite as well though. Certainly not as fast. When you power up the Nautilus, it should receive the satellites, and will begin to store coordinates. In the old 32 bit Mac app, you could view those. The 64 bit app doesn't appear to allow the same functionality as the 32 bit app did. At least for Macs, not sure about Windows.

You used to be able to do that with the 1st Gen Nautilus radio as well. I don't think it works quite as well though. Certainly not as fast. When you power up the Nautilus, it should receive the satellites, and will begin to store coordinates. In the old 32 bit Mac app, you could view those. The 64 bit app doesn't appear to allow the same functionality as the 32 bit app did. At least for Macs, not sure about Windows.
I'll have to play with that. Speed is important, but if I can get GPS coordinates within a minute, I shouldn't drift too much in that timeframe. It isn't difficult to account for that after all.

One technique people use is to put a GPS receiver (could be a phone, for example) in a floating waterproof box and tow it overhead during the dive. Can synchronize dive waypoints with actual location using time, or pull the float underwater for a moment so it loses signal and then regains it again when it pops up.

Back
Top Bottom