Best dive computers for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm somewhat worrying about the tendency of pushing higher end equipment to beginners. That may be well meaning but seems to me to forget some aspects:

- most beginners tend to drop or do a few dives ever other year. They will never see any value for the price increase.

- ease of use is different. I've seen people messing up with GF and oxygen levels without understanding what they were doing.

I'm somewhat worrying about the tendency of pushing higher end equipment to beginners. That may be well meaning but seems to me to forget some aspects:

- most beginners tend to drop or do a few dives ever other year. They will never see any value for the price increase.

- ease of use is different. I've seen people messing up with GF and oxygen levels without understanding what they were doing.

Agree with you 100% especially as related to the GF thing for beginners. I have seen this happen frequently.

I appreciate the input. I agree that buying quality equipment once that you can grow into is better than buying something cheap that will be replaced shortly afterwards.

I’m trying to find a quality dive computer that will last me a long time that also won’t break the bank. I’ve heard great things about the Shearwater Teric and Perdix but I’m not sure if I can afford them at this point.

Should I hold off and save up enough to buy a top of the line dive computer like the Teric or Perdix or would a Peregrine be good enough to serve me well for the next several years?

I searched and jumped on a Perdix AI when the price was right.. I paid $650 for a used one in good shape.. few scratches, a little character but works great. Can't imagine diving anything else.

I waited a bit and did the same thing with the transmitter.. total in I'm $753 for both.

You don't have to spend big bucks to get cool toys unless you need shiny toys, then you're SOL lol.

Shearwater is an excellent computer perfectly usable by a beginner and is capable of growing as you advance beyond the beginner status. After you use it a bit you can get into some of the deeper features. The tissue loading bar graph I find is an excellent tool to better understand decompression.

If you want a computer with a crappy difficult to read display and one button to do everything, go ahead. Some people actually appreciate a bigger display and ease of use.

Shearwater holds their value on the resale market. Can you say that for Suunto?

I appreciate the input. I agree that buying quality equipment once that you can grow into is better than buying something cheap that will be replaced shortly afterwards.

I’m trying to find a quality dive computer that will last me a long time that also won’t break the bank. I’ve heard great things about the Shearwater Teric and Perdix but I’m not sure if I can afford them at this point.

Should I hold off and save up enough to buy a top of the line dive computer like the Teric or Perdix or would a Peregrine be good enough to serve me well for the next several years?
I would hold off and save for the perdix or Teric and a transmitter, they will grow with your diving and have much better resale value if you find diving isn’t a long term thing for you. There are a lot of cheap computers out there with pretty much zero resale value.

Agree with you 100% especially as related to the GF thing for beginners. I have seen this happen frequently.
All one need do is dive NDL until they know or need the other features, just because gear has extended possibilities does not require their use, if your b/c has 40 lbs of lift you are not required to carry 40 lbs of lead.

My first computer was a Cressi Donatello. A honest, durable recreational dive computer, and I am very satisfied with it. Nevertheless, a few months ago I purchased a Shearwater Peregrine, and it is an outstanding option. Now I dive with both computers. If you have the money, go straight for the Peregrine, as it will "grow" with you as a diver, and it is also a sound choice for entry-level technical diving, excluding the 'top-tier' CCR and trimix divers. IMHO, there is no need to go for a pure technical computer, as a Perdix, unless you have already decided that your destination is the technical/deep/cave diving.

Reactions: L13
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom