Best dive computers for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can get a deal, be ready to move on it. I've only seen deals at scuba shows and such. Also, don't poo-poo purchasing a 2nd hand unit (particularly the Perdix). As long as the original owner took care of it (and given the expense, most do), you can replace the O rings and have a very solid computer. I'm always shocked how many divers buy brand new equipment and then sell it all within a year or two.
And Shearwater will treat you as if you bought it brand new. So there's really no risk. I sold my regular Perdix and shortly thereafter (I felt super bad about this) the depth sensor went out. Shearwater took care of it despite being several years old.

OP - I find my situation was quite similar to yours.

I'm a new diver. Every vacation I went to I did "Discover" diving excursions and eventually got sick of class room and pool sessions lol in addition to that my passion for diving increased dramatically.

I got OW certified within the last year and have 24 (I know it's nothing lol) total dives. My instructor was very impressed with how easily I got the skills done and with my buyoncy self training during the discover dives. I think I was very lucky with most of my guides and tips they gave in the past. I'm doing my AOW and Nitrox certs in April. I know I am very interested in diving and will at least do it every vacation I take and want to try diving New Jersey shore. As of right now, I know I'm committed enough to do at least that and maybe I'll do rescue diver in the future. As of now, I highly doubt I'll do any tec diving - being completely honest with myself but you never know I guess.

This takes me to the actual computer discussion now that we established am an absolute noob in diving haha

I am a techie and work in IT so shiny gadgets are very important to me. Based on this when I started browsing through the computers I knew I wanted to have AI so as I'm learning I have the air monitored more available rather than picking up the SPG all the time. It's 2022 - the tech moves forward and I wanted to move along with it. That limited the selection quite a bit.

As a new diver, I didn't want to cash out a fortune so stumbled upon a Mares Quad Air with transmitter. I saw it was around $800 on scuba.com, read some reviews and thought "Hey, how much more of a computer do I need". In a couple of days, they had a flash sale and the price dropped to $449 for the computer with the transmitter. Immediately pulled the trigger. The computer arrives, I open it and (no offense to anyone using it) I get somewhat shocked. Some LEDs get dimmer/brighter depending on the screen selection, menus are from the early 2000's and the overall feel is maybe it's a $400 computer but not $800. I remember the basic Suunto my trainer gave me during OW felt more quality. But then there was a thought "Yeah but it's $400 vs 1200-1500 for Shearwaters, Garmins, etc." so I'll make it work.

During the next 2 weeks I found myself talking into keeping it while reading forums and glancing over new Perdix 2...

Thankfully I know myself enough... As much as I tried to talk myself into keeping it I would eventually say screw it and cashed out for Perdix or something similar down the road so I decided to save the money and thinking about it (I know sounds funny), returned the Quad Air and got the Perdix 2 with AI.

When it arrived I could care less how much more it was. It's just amazing... from the graphics to the functionality... everything screams this is it. I'm only planning to use it in Air and Nitrox recreational modes but if anything ever changes I know the functionality is there. If not - I'll be happy anyway just keeping it in rec mode with AI. In any case, I can't think of any computer seeing out there for many years to come that would make me switch from Perdix 2 to it.

I'm sure you will be very happy with either Perdix or Peregrine but do give AI a serious consideration. The tech moves forward. You still want to have a backup SPG but AI is a really nice perk. You don't have to get the transmitter right away btw. I learned Shearwater doesn't really have sales so take the time and save up a bit. If you know you don't care for AI, Peregrine is a very solid choice. If there's any thought you will want AI in the near future I would future proof now with a Perdix 2 or Teric.

Hope it helped in any way and best of luck with whatever choice you make!

As a new diver, I didn't want to cash out a fortune so stumbled upon a Mares Quad Air with transmitter. I saw it was around $800 on scuba.com, read some reviews and thought "Hey, how much more of a computer do I need". In a couple of days, they had a flash sale and the price dropped to $449 for the computer with the transmitter. Immediately pulled the trigger.
As I was reading this, I was thinking, "No, don't do it." Though, I could see that the sale price would make it attractive.
The computer arrives, I open it and (no offense to anyone using it) I get somewhat shocked. Some LEDs get dimmer/brighter depending on the screen selection, menus are from the early 2000's and the overall feel is maybe it's a $400 computer but not $800. I remember the basic Suunto my trainer gave me during OW felt more quality. But then there was a thought "Yeah but it's $400 vs 1200-1500 for Shearwaters, Garmins, etc." so I'll make it work.
Yeah, there is definitely a tradeoff as you found. Some things are worth spending more on, and that's going to vary by individual.
When it arrived I could care less how much more it was. It's just amazing... from the graphics to the functionality... everything screams this is it. I'm only planning to use it in Air and Nitrox recreational modes but if anything ever changes I know the functionality is there. If not - I'll be happy anyway just keeping it in rec mode with AI. In any case, I can't think of any computer seeing out there for many years to come that would make me switch from Perdix 2 to it.
Yep. I couldn't agree more. Without a doubt, it is not cheap, but for what you get, I find the Shearwater line to be worth it.

It's the only computer I've used that could be used without even reading the manual. I did read the manual, and found it was very well written, but it's so easy to use you really don't need to read the manual to be able to use it effectively. I tried that with a friend of mine. His only exposure to SW was the one on my wrist. He asked me how easy it was to change gas settings. Rather than explain, I just handed it to him and told him how to turn it on. He was able to do it quickly.

Another thing is that the transmitter is compatible with other brands, so you wouldn't necessarily need to buy a new transmitter if you got a computer from another brand down the line.

I only wish they had a Peregrine AI. If they do, I'll likely buy two of them for my daughters as long as the price is reasonable.

, they had a flash sale and the price dropped to $449 for the [Mares]computer with the transmitter.
There's a good reason, several actually, why you never see that kind of a price drop in Shearwaters.

I only wish they had a Peregrine AI. If they do, I'll likely buy two of them for my daughters as long as the price is reasonable.
I love my Peregrine, but yeah, add some AI to it and it'd be all I ever need. No trimix in my future.

On the topic of a dedicated DC v. one you can wear as your daily watch, for me it comes down to the display size. I don't like overly large watches, and a watch-style DC with a display big & bright enough for my mid-50's eyes would definitely be "overly large". The Peregrine screen is perfect, though.

I love my Peregrine, but yeah, add some AI to it and it'd be all I ever need. No trimix in my future.

On the topic of a dedicated DC v. one you can wear as your daily watch, for me it comes down to the display size. I don't like overly large watches, and a watch-style DC with a display big & bright enough for my mid-50's eyes would definitely be "overly large". The Peregrine screen is perfect, though.
Talking about every day computers/watches :)

I've been using an Apple Watch for quite some time so I switched over to Ultra. I wish Apple had AI capability but understand that it would require RF or sonar as it can't work over bluetooth in the water.

Me personally, whether I was diving or not I would be using an Apple Watch anyway so adding a dive computer functionality with Oceanic+ is a + (pun intended). For now it'll be my backup to Perdix 2 as I'm not looking to go deeper than 40m. I know there are discussions about subscription fee etc but since I already have the watch might as well use it to the full potential. Plus it has GPS logging, etc.

Honestly, I feel that if Apple had AI I may have used the Ultra as an all-in-one device and not buy a dedicated dive computer. It has some really good reviews as a dive computer so far and you get all the functionality on the surface.

OP - I forgot another point that steered me to Perdix 2. It has a compass. Otherwise I'd have to get a dedicated compass that would run another $75-150 or so. Perdix 2 has one and I tested it works great. Apple Watch has one as well of course so there's a backup.

tempImagexNeFPu.png

As I was reading this, I was thinking, "No, don't do it." Though, I could see that the sale price would make it attractive.

Yeah, there is definitely a tradeoff as you found. Some things are worth spending more on, and that's going to vary by individual.

Yep. I couldn't agree more. Without a doubt, it is not cheap, but for what you get, I find the Shearwater line to be worth it.

It's the only computer I've used that could be used without even reading the manual. I did read the manual, and found it was very well written, but it's so easy to use you really don't need to read the manual to be able to use it effectively. I tried that with a friend of mine. His only exposure to SW was the one on my wrist. He asked me how easy it was to change gas settings. Rather than explain, I just handed it to him and told him how to turn it on. He was able to do it quickly.

Another thing is that the transmitter is compatible with other brands, so you wouldn't necessarily need to buy a new transmitter if you got a computer from another brand down the line.

Shearwater Peregrine and Perdix - fantastic user interface, bright and sharp graphics, intuitive data layout, great support. A Peregrine AI would dominate the recreational scuba market. I think it still does for any non AI rec computer.

Yep. Totally agree on the size aspect. I have a Perdix AI, which is obviously way too big to wear as a watch. I also have a Garmin MK2s which works well as a backup and as a daily wear/activity watch. I definitely wouldn’t want anything larger for daily wear.
Me personally, whether I was diving or not I would be using an Apple Watch anyway so adding a dive computer functionality with Oceanic+ is a + (pun intended). For now it'll be my backup to Perdix 2 as I'm not looking to go deeper than 40m. I know there are discussions about subscription fee etc but since I already have the watch might as well use it to the full potential. Plus it has GPS logging, etc.
On the GPS logging. I currently use the Garmin for location data as it’s nearly automatic. Prior to that, I used my phone’s location. Downloaded the dive from the Perdix to Subsurface, and would grab the location from the phone. Used to be semi automatic, but current versions in iOS lost that. Still possible by copying location from Compass. That worked sufficiently well for boat dives, but definitely not for shore dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom