Best dive computers for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wanted to add I also own a Deep 6 Excursion computer. It has the abilty for a lot for a lot less... I believe it's the only dc that's under $400 ($350?) that can do gas switches and change gf's, etc.

Is great for a beginner and great as a backup if you ever went into more technical diving. For $350 you get a lot, but you don't get AI or a compass...

I consider myself a beginner, and after a lot of research, I went with an Aqulaung i450t, which I got used for $300 from scuba.com.

I've been very happy with it. The main pluses for me are a robust freedive mode, which the Shearwaters (except for the Teric) don't have, which was important to me and easily accessible stopwatch (which I use for static apnea). I wasn't sure if I would use the AI, but it turns out I do, and can't imagine not having it. I've done one battery change, which was very easy. I find the interface relatively simple, or a simple as one can hope for with just 4 buttons and no touch screen. It's shared across other brands, like Oceanic, so I figure familiarizing myself with the interface is a good skill if I end up with a rental computer or need to help another diver.

Negatives are: a so-so visual interface, nowhere nearly as nice as the Shearwaters or Garmin. Also, no bluetooth. The cable is expensive to replace, and I found the interface a bit buggy. The divelog software sucks.

I'll likely upgrade soon to a Shearwater Teric or a Garmin Mk2i and give my Aqualung to my son. I'm strongly tending toward the Teric, due to its non-proprietary AI interface, the company's reputation, and the lack of unnecessary (for me) fitness functions. I am strongly tempted by the GPS on the Garmin, though. That's the one thing that keeps the Teric from being perfect.

I agree with everyone about buying for the future you, not the present you. I should have just taken the plunge and gotten the computer I really wanted. They have annoyingly (for me, trying to pick up a used one cheap) good resale value.

Very pleased with my Peregrine. A lot of bang for the buck. Great battery life. Great display with both digital and graphical information for the diver. Uses the Buhlmann algorithm and accommodates Nitrox. I hear that Shearwater offers great support (I haven't needed any). The only thing missing is AI, which may or may not be important to you. Just be sure to soak it in fresh water after every ocean dive so the buttons don't stick.

I’m trying to find a quality dive computer that will last me a long time that also won’t break the bank. I’ve heard great things about the Shearwater Teric and Perdix but I’m not sure if I can afford them at this point.

Should I hold off and save up enough to buy a top of the line dive computer like the Teric or Perdix or would a Peregrine be good enough to serve me well for the next several years?
Unless you must have AI or a compass, then there really isn't a reason to go for a Perdix or Teric over the Peregrine. The Peregrine will suit you well for whatever type of recreational diving you can throw at it, and then some. In the future, you may decide that you want to pursue tech diving and/or want a 2nd computer. At that point, the Peregrine would be a great backup for a Perdix or Teric.

The capabilities of a dive computer are not what should differentiate a dive computer between new and experienced divers. The key thing for new divers (actually all divers) is to make sure that the diver knows how to operate the computer. Many "entry level" dive computers have user interfaces that leave a lot to be desired. There are countless stories on here about divers not setting their computer correctly, or not understanding what it is trying to tell them. The Shearwater manuals are easy to understand, and the UI is easy to use.

As an example, I tried an experiment. My buddy had been eyeing my Perdix. He currently has a Cressi DC. He asked me how easy it was to change the gas mix on my computer. Rather than explain it, I handed him my computer and told him how to turn it on. Once it was on, he quickly navigated to the right screen and found how to change the gas mix. Prior to that experience, he had never read the manual, nor had he even held a Shearwater computer.

Unless you must have AI or a compass, then there really isn't a reason to go for a Perdix or Teric over the Peregrine. The Peregrine will suit you well for whatever type of recreational diving you can throw at it, and then some. In the future, you may decide that you want to pursue tech diving and/or want a 2nd computer. At that point, the Peregrine would be a great backup for a Perdix or Teric.

The capabilities of a dive computer are not what should differentiate a dive computer between new and experienced divers. The key thing for new divers (actually all divers) is to make sure that the diver knows how to operate the computer. Many "entry level" dive computers have user interfaces that leave a lot to be desired. There are countless stories on here about divers not setting their computer correctly, or not understanding what it is trying to tell them. The Shearwater manuals are easy to understand, and the UI is easy to use.

As an example, I tried an experiment. My buddy had been eyeing my Perdix. He currently has a Cressi DC. He asked me how easy it was to change the gas mix on my computer. Rather than explain it, I handed him my computer and told him how to turn it on. Once it was on, he quickly navigated to the right screen and found how to change the gas mix. Prior to that experience, he had never read the manual, nor had he even held a Shearwater computer.

I don't know all the ins and outs of the Peregrine model... can that do gas switches through to trimix? Is it basically a perdix without the compass / AI?

Deep6 Excursion if you don't have "experienced eyes". Best way to "future-proof" your choice for $350 new. A free update (hopefully released early next year) is planned to add multiple gases, which will take you a fair ways along the technical path, should you find that interests you. It will also be upgradable (for a fee) to handle trimix/CCR, which covers the remainder of technical diving. Bluetooth is convenient.

Peregrine is a solid choice with 3 gasses as well. Bigger & brighter if close-up vision is an issue. $510 new.

Is it basically a perdix without the compass / AI?
No trimix on the Peregrine, but the screen is better than the original Perdix / Perdix AI. I believe the new Perdix2 and Peregrine screens are comparable.

I don't know all the ins and outs of the Peregrine model... can that do gas switches through to trimix? Is it basically a perdix without the compass / AI?
No trimix for the Peregrine. It can do single or 3 gas Nx, though so would work for gas switches as long as there was no He involved.

I love my Teric so far after 12 months of use. My experience so far was that the transmitter battery lasted 58 dives and 63 hrs. Make sure the tank is off and depressurized unless in use and always have a spare with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom