Best dive computers for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who said that? Note sure what you are getting at here.
You said in response to
I'm somewhat worrying about the tendency of pushing higher end equipment to beginners. That may be well meaning but seems to me to forget some aspects:

- most beginners tend to drop or do a few dives ever other year. They will never see any value for the price increase.

- ease of use is different. I've seen people messing up with GF and oxygen levels without understanding what they were doing.

Agree with you 100% especially as related to the GF thing for beginners. I have seen this happen frequently.

Most people don't even mess with GFs on their dive computer for recreational diving, except making use of the 3 levels of conservatism made available on the Deep 6 Excursion and Shearwaters. That has to exist. For technical diving, further manipulation of GFs is a must.

The Peregrine looks like a nice computer, but do you want to lock you self into no AI?

Even if you don't buy the transmitter right away, you should at least give yourself the option of doing so later.

You said in response to

Most people don't even mess with GFs on their dive computer for recreational diving, except making use of the 3 levels of conservatism made available on the Deep 6 Excursion and Shearwaters. That has to exist. For technical diving, further manipulation of GFs is a must.

When I said "Agree with you 100%" I was referring to me aggreeing with him completely, not GF = 100 or any value.

The Peregrine looks like a nice computer, but do you want to lock you self into no AI?

Even if you don't buy the transmitter right away, you should at least give yourself the option of doing so later.
That involves a big jump in price point. Now mind you, I'm a big fan of AI for recreational and CCR diving.

When I said "Agree with you 100%" I was referring to me aggreeing with him completely, not GF = 100 or any value.
But you did imply that new divers do not have the ability to comprehend the three conservancy options (GFs) in the recreational modes of Shearwaters but do have the ability to understand the conservancy options of other computers. What is the difference?

But you did imply that new divers do not have the ability to comprehend the three conservancy options (GFs) in the recreational modes of Shearwaters but do have the ability to understand the conservancy options of other computers. What is the difference?

I was refering to GF's not specifically to SW or any specific brand dive computer. Insisting on the availability of having GF adjustment feature on a dive computer for the average recreational diver isn't a good advice. Ability to adjust conservatism factors is the easier and more practical way for the greater majority of recreational divers. The SW dive computer has a recreational mode that has a set of "conservatism factors" just like other recreational dive computers is what is I believe appropriate for the average recreational diver. It gives the user the abililty to set a custom GF L/H as a last option but with lots of warnings. Again, I was talking about GF's not SW computer specifically.

I was refering to GF's not specifically to SW or any specific brand dive computer. Insisting on the availability of having GF adjustment feature on a dive computer for the average recreational diver isn't a good advice. Ability to adjust conservatism factors is the easier and more practical way for the greater majority of recreational divers. The SW dive computer has a recreational mode that doesn't involve adjustments of GF but rather a set of "conservatism factors" just like other recreational dive computers is what is I believe approperiate to the recreational diver. Again, I was talking about GF's not SW computer specifically.
How exactly do you think Shearwater implements conservatism in OC Rec mode?

How exactly do you think Shearwater implements conservatism in OC Rec mode?

Ask them, but I imagine they put in certain GF's for each conservatism number shielding the user from understanding GF and the user doesn't have to worry about GF L/H, they just put in a number for their desired conservatism.

I don't understand your line of quizzing/questioning here.

Ask them, but I imagine they put in certain GF's for each conservatism number shielding the user from understanding GF and the user doesn't have to worry about GF L/H, they just put in a number for their desired conservatism.
I don't need to as I own 3 Shearwaters. If my memory serves me, the conservatism is set by GF and this is displayed when selecting which conservatism option the user wants. I'll have to confirm later on tonight. But it was discussed here: Question about Shearwater default GF low settings

I don't understand your line of quizzing/questioning here.
You stated:
The SW dive computer has a recreational mode that doesn't involve adjustments of GF but rather a set of "conservatism factors" just like other recreational dive computers is what is I believe approperiate to the recreational diver.
That's just wrong. If you don't know, please don't guess as to how it works. That just confuses people.

Back
Top Bottom