New DPV - Dive Xtras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since both versions replace the original tube that shipped with them, any rebates on sending them back?

_R
Sorry, no rebates, but for existing owners you can buy the Tech tube at a big discount. Just talk with your Dealer and let them have your serial number. Dealer updates are going out later today, so give them a day or two to get upto speed. Our website will open up this weekend.

Still haven't got my Blacktip in the water, but I did attempt the firmware update today. Using Windows, it seems to work. VESC could not see the file in the downloads folder, but when I put it on the desktop, it could see it. Then, my display was rotated 90 degrees, so I had to change to number from 1 to 0, and that worked. The prop is doing some odd kind of jerking a short distance a few times at first, but eventually it starts spinning slowly and then at 3 in what seems like safe start. I don't recall it doing that jerky thing before, though. So, one take home lesson is that if you're going to give the firmware update a try, move the Dive Xtras file onto your desktop first. Then pray.

I need some advice. I got a Blacktip at Christmas, from our friends at Backscatter because shipping was free. It seemed a good idea to take a DPV course before using it, so I just kept the Blacktip in a spare room waiting for a class to come along. However, the pandemic has classes on hold all over. Having read about the firmware update, I updated the firmware, as mentioned above. I was confused about safe start, though; it does that but then it goes up and down the speeds while dry in the house, which I didn't think it was supposed to do. Anyway, I've also heard people complaining about trim, and now have heard there are new tubes coming that are supposed to fix trim. So, wondering if I have an improperly functioning, poorly trimmed DPV, I went over to a nearby pond today for a few minutes to try it out just under the surface, snorkeling in my paddling dry suit. That was confusing.

First, I walked out into the water (this is freshwater, and there were two DeWalt 12's in it), and the Blacktip sunk. So I walked to the side and took out the weight plate. Then, when I walked back into the water most of the DPV was in the water put the nose was poking out. I figured I'd try it at that weight anyway, so I hit the trigger. It did it's jerky thing, but didn't seem to want to go. Eventually it did get going. I headed off across the pond, and then it stopped and started to sink, and I realized I was tied into something that was now negatively bouyant, with only the air in my dry suit for bouyancy. That was interesting. But I worked it out, although it still seemed erratic on the trigger. I noticed that the screen was entirely lit up: all white dots. That didn't seem right at all. So, what would be the best thing to do? Just reinstall the firmware again and hope it takes better?

I need some advice. I got a Blacktip at Christmas, from our friends at Backscatter because shipping was free. It seemed a good idea to take a DPV course before using it, so I just kept the Blacktip in a spare room waiting for a class to come along. However, the pandemic has classes on hold all over. Having read about the firmware update, I updated the firmware, as mentioned above. I was confused about safe start, though; it does that but then it goes up and down the speeds while dry in the house, which I didn't think it was supposed to do. Anyway, I've also heard people complaining about trim, and now have heard there are new tubes coming that are supposed to fix trim. So, wondering if I have an improperly functioning, poorly trimmed DPV, I went over to a nearby pond today for a few minutes to try it out just under the surface, snorkeling in my paddling dry suit. That was confusing.

First, I walked out into the water (this is freshwater, and there were two DeWalt 12's in it), and the Blacktip sunk. So I walked to the side and took out the weight plate. Then, when I walked back into the water most of the DPV was in the water put the nose was poking out. I figured I'd try it at that weight anyway, so I hit the trigger. It did it's jerky thing, but didn't seem to want to go. Eventually it did get going. I headed off across the pond, and then it stopped and started to sink, and I realized I was tied into something that was now negatively bouyant, with only the air in my dry suit for bouyancy. That was interesting. But I worked it out, although it still seemed erratic on the trigger. I noticed that the screen was entirely lit up: all white dots. That didn't seem right at all. So, what would be the best thing to do? Just reinstall the firmware again and hope it takes better?
One of the Blacktips I updated for a buddy seemed to do the lack of safe start when the update was done. None of the others did. Somebody on Facebook suggested putting it in the water, using it, and seeing if that solves the issue once the seals and bearings loosen up slightly

The entire screen shouldn't be lit up, it should show the battery level as a triangle, or the gear you're in. Did you wait at least 10 seconds after the firmware update before doing anything else? Also, you have to try the trigger a couple of times before everything seems to take, like the orientation of the battery gauge. If it stays lit up solid, you should contact Dive-X and they will take care of you. Their customer service is fantastic!

In salt water with DeWalt 12 AH batteries, I removed the steel weight plate, left the thin stainless one, and have a large stainless bolt snap on the nose. My nose cone weighs in right at 2.0 lbs on a kitchen measuring scale. It's ever so slightly negatively buoyant in salt water, so would be a bit more negative in fresh water. I found steering to be much easier if the bolt snap on the tow cord is free to slide instead of having it locked in place as provided by Dive-X, but that's probably a matter of personal preference

Sorry, no rebates, but for existing owners you can buy the Tech tube at a big discount. Just talk with your Dealer and let them have your serial number. Dealer updates are going out later today, so give them a day or two to get upto speed. Our website will open up this weekend.

Any suggestions for recycling the tubes then... if you guys don’t want them, I wouldn’t want it either??

Sweet, a discount? I bought mine direct, so should I be awaiting for an email with the offer?

_R

Gossip is that they're going to charge twenty some percent of the original purchase price, for a tube that works. But check their web site in a day or two to see for sure; it's supposed to be on there by the end of the week.

Oh, frustration! If anyone can think of anything obvious that I'm doing wrong, please let me know before I call the manufacturer and ask what to do. Last night I redid the firmware update. Afterward, I had to redo the screen orientation again, but that worked. Then, safe start worked, and the prop didn't do it's jerky short movement thing, and the machine did not go up and down speeds like it did before in my family room (which it wasn't supposed to). So I figured that was all good. I took it back to the pond today, waded out, and got the correct moving dot on the display, and started up. It seemed to do well in lower lower speeds, but not going up to higher speeds. The I adjusted the tether just a bit, and tried some more, and the display was completely blank. Nothing at all, no more speed numbers, nothing. I don't think I ever got up to the upper speeds. Thoughts?

Subsequent edit: I thought of just trying to reboot it, like a computer, so I took the batteries out and put them back in again. Display showing again! But I can't do that in the middle of a dive, and I got this contraption specifically for a near lifelong dream to get out to a particular reef off the Oregon coast, and I can't have it failing with hundreds of yards of surface kelp between me and shore, because I can't swim through all that stuff. The DPV is for going under it, out and back expeditiously. Anyway, I didn't want to drag the Blacktip back down to the pond again for an in water test, so I came up with an idea. I put it in the bathtub, on its tail, and filled the tub. Turns out the reason my speeds wouldn't go up earlier today is because I was double clicking too rapidly. Everything seemed to work, although at this point it's hard to have faith that'll keep. But I did learn some important tidbits. A DPV will try to launch up out of the tub like a missile, so you have to hold it down. Also, it'll turn your tub into a world class jacuzzi. If someone is holding it down. Thank goodness I kept the tether out of the way, or there could have been bathroom-wide destruction!

Any suggestions for recycling the tubes then... if you guys don’t want them, I wouldn’t want it either??...
Wait until they start selling the tech and expeditions, then sell to one of those guys who wants to travel. Or find someone who deformed their travel tube going down to 500 ft

I bought mine direct, so should I be awaiting for an email with the offer?

_R
No, it's up on their web site now, and there's a page specifically about what you can do if you recently bought a Blacktip and want to send in your serial number and also part with hundreds more dollars: BlackTip Scooter Series - Dive Xtras BlackTip Underwater Scooters
Link to tube kits page at the bottom of that page, or directly here: BlackTip Scooter Tube Kits - All Sizes - Dive Xtras Underwater Scooters
Note that the "tech" tube is definitely heavier than the "travel" tube.

Does anyone know what the extra strap is for?

You’ll need a longer strap for a longer tube. There’s a little slack on the one that comes on the travel tube but not enough to accommodate the extra 4-5” length of the next longest tube.

You’ll need a longer strap for a longer tube. There’s a little slack on the one that comes on the travel tube but not enough to accommodate the extra 4-5” length of the next longest tube.
Yeah, that makes sense, although in the photos is looked like they were wrapping it around the circumference of the tank. Just to get extra out of the way?

Back
Top Bottom