Blacktip DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Define "expedition grade"
What does Dive-X make that is "expedition grade"?

To me it is less about max distance, as advancements have made it possible to get miles out of fairly tiny scooters, but about reliability. Sure any scooter can die, but the amount of times I've heard a BT fail compared to say Suex seems to be disproportionate to how long they've been on the market.

I simply don't view the BT in the same category so I don't hold it to the same standards.

To me it is less about max distance, as advancements have made it possible to get miles out of fairly tiny scooters, but about reliability. Sure any scooter can die, but the amount of times I've heard a BT fail compared to say Suex seems to be disproportionate to how long they've been on the market.

I simply don't view the BT in the same category so I don't hold it to the same standards.

Okay, so, again, what does Dive-X make that is "expedition grade"?

My experience is both limited and purely anecdotal. But, in my very limited experience, it has been the PTBs that make my BT not "expedition grade" (even if it had the required range). And I know for a fact that I'm not the only one that has had these exact kinds of issues with the PTBs in a BlackTip.

Which is basically what I was saying earlier. I wouldn't call the CudaX "expedition grade" even if you think it has adequate range to qualify for the term. There is literally NO "expedition-qualifying" quality control on the PTB batteries.

Also, I suppose, nowadays, one could make an argument that, to qualify as robust enough for "expedition use", you might require the scooter to support charging without breaking the seal on the hull.

Even if you use a vacuum system to test it every time you close it up, an O-ring that is opened and closed repeatedly is going to have a greater chance of failure during a dive than one that is sealed up once and left that way.

Okay, so, again, what does Dive-X make that is "expedition grade"?

My experience is both limited and purely anecdotal. But, in my very limited experience, it has been the PTBs that make my BT not "expedition grade" (even if it had the required range). And I know for a fact that I'm not the only one that has had these exact kinds of issues with the PTBs in a BlackTip.

Which is basically what I was saying earlier. I wouldn't call the CudaX "expedition grade" even if you think it has adequate range to qualify for the term. There is literally NO "expedition-qualifying" quality control on the PTB batteries.

Also, I suppose, nowadays, one could make an argument that, to qualify as robust enough for "expedition use", you might require the scooter to support charging without breaking the seal on the hull.

Even if you use a vacuum system to test it every time you close it up, an O-ring that is opened and closed repeatedly is going to have a greater chance of failure during a dive than one that is sealed up once and left that way.
I'm more of poking fun than being serious, lol.
The BT will be going with me on a cave exploration project in a few weeks. 285ft+

Well my student called me today and he bought one for himself and one for me. So I will know the scoop soon enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom