Newby computer, what to get?

So which simply computer

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the cheapest DeepBlu Cosmiq cost 3917, it's quite step up from i200c.
At the moment i200 and i200c has the same price. I can save few bucks if I wait for black friday etc, but I will spend same difference on renting on in Egypt in two weeks (I guess). So I willing to buy one now with current prices.

Mares smart is a bit more expensive (2514), but it has no bluetooth, so I need to add cable on top. What do you think, is it worth price difference? I am renting equickment, so I will not use AI, and AL200 has 4 buttons vs Mares 2 button navigation.

p.s. prices are in swedish krona, ~10=1usd.

Hi @Dainius

Oceanic Geo 4 meets all your criteria, watch, relatively inexpensive, liberal, free dive, Bluetooth. It runs DSAT (liberal) as well as PZ+ (middle of the road, same as Aqua Lung)

Deepblu Cosmiq is very conservative. There were flooding problems, don't know if that has been addressed.

Mares is a bit more conservative that PZ+

the cheapest DeepBlu Cosmiq cost 3917, it's quite step up from i200c.
At the moment i200 and i200c has the same price. I can save few bucks if I wait for black friday etc, but I will spend same difference on renting on in Egypt in two weeks (I guess). So I willing to buy one now with current prices.

Mares smart is a bit more expensive (2514), but it has no bluetooth, so I need to add cable on top. What do you think, is it worth price difference? I am renting equickment, so I will not use AI, and AL200 has 4 buttons vs Mares 2 button navigation.

p.s. prices are in swedish krona, ~10=1usd.

if the i200 & i200c are the same price and the Smart more expensive in Sweden then it’s a no brainer, get the i200c as it has Bluetooth. The price you’ve quoted seems to be very good as the cheapest I’ve seen the i200c from a quick internet search is £250. The i200 is around £190 and I’ve seen the Smart for ~£160.

I second the Cressi Leonardo. For me, it's simple, easy to setup, easy to modify to bungee straps, and relatively cheap ($200) (read: if it breaks or gets lost, it doesn't break your bank).

I think another selling point is the OP's inexperience (I do not mean this in any way as a put down!). Until you know what you actually like/prefer, why would you be in a big hurry to spend $$$ on a computer based on other forum members' opinions? Purchase something used like a Zoop or a Leonardo which does the basics well and pay attention to what other divers you dive with use. Ask if you can work with it on the surface.

My .02.

It was eater my fault or web shop. I am not sure now, but i200 cost 245$, mares smart 250$, i200C is 320$. Probably is was mistake on web shop and they added i200c for i200 price, as I haven't seen i200 on that web page.
Anyway... Smart or i100 then :)
If there is any UK online shop that should work, can you recommend any?

If there is any UK online shop that should work, can you recommend any?
The cheapest price for the Smart I saw is on www.Scubaonline.de, based in Germany - €189 plus shipping. I've never ordered anything from them, so can't vouch for them.
Otherwise for UK shops there's Deep Blue Dive (£195 for Smart), Mikes dive store, Simply Scuba, etc etc. and even Decathlon.co.uk sells Mares & Cressi DCs! Not sure what delivery charges to Sweden are but shouldn't be too bad.
You may have a Swedish Decathlon site??
It's worth looking around all those sites as they often do deals.

The conservatism of the Mares algorithm was mentioned but was never an issue for me, although I only do 2 or occasionally 3 dives a day and take dive day turns with my wife as we have young kids to look after. I've never done a liveaboard so not sure if the algorithm would be restrictive in that case.
Also, I dive Nitrox as much as possible (i.e. when it's free or a small extra charge) which adds a safety factor. FWIW, I think there are no downsides to having a Nitrox cert and would recommend it to anyone.

@Dainius by the way, try this site too Aqualung i200C Blue buy and offers on Scubastore
£250 for the i200c plus 5% off if you use ORDERM5 code. They're based in Spain but I've ordered stuff from them, including BC, with no issues. I'm not not if delivery would be quick enough for you're trip to Egypt though.
You can use Mike5 code on Mike's dive store website for 5% discount too.

I guess I will go for Mares from de page tonight. They can ship to Sweden, should be enough time to get it.

Yet not sure if Mares Smart Air is worth +30€, seems a small extra for tank sender support (ok, sender will cost same as computer). @UFOrb Did you find AI useful?

I and my wife have two Cressi Leonardo. Very cheap (99 eur on Amazon on Prime Day), simple to understand and to operate, do almost everything, including Nitrox...

I guess I will go for Mares from de page tonight. They can ship to Sweden, should be enough time to get it.

Yet not sure if Mares Smart Air is worth +30€, seems a small extra for tank sender support (ok, sender will cost same as computer). @UFOrb Did you find AI useful?

Yup I really like having all the info in one place with a glance at my wrist (although I still have my compact SPG as backup), and the info you can download about your dive is cool.
Of course it's not essential, you can easily make do without it but if the Smart Air is only €30 more and you think you may go AI at some point in the future then it's worth paying the extra. At least you then have the option

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom