First Dive Computer **Advise needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suuntos are highly notorious and mostly hated by Tec divers (I'm not an exception here) for locking under water when not strictly following their deco stop requests. A dive computer that leaves you to your fate 20 meters under water and stays locked for 48 hours solid?
Are you suggesting the Suunto is too sensitive that if you accidentally exceed your deco ceiling it doesn't allow you to correct your depth and immediately goes into gauge mode or are you deliberately ignoring the deco recommendations of the computer. Is this a problem with the computer or your buoyancy control?

It also refuses to give you surface times or no-fly times, for that matter.
But you indicated that it locks for 48 hours, hence your surface time and no fly time is 48 hours. What more do you need to know? Basically you blew it; stop diving for 48 hrs.

While it might sound unwise to you that divers don't follow the computer's proposed stops, deco dives can be safely completed in different ways, not only the Suunto way.
It doesn't just sound unwise, it is unwise not follow the computer's recommended stops if that was your original plan. Obviously if you planned your dive using another set of tables or a different computer, then put the Suunto in gauge mode and just use it to measure depth and time. I don't quite understand how you conduct or plan your dives?

DCS risk is the same regardless of what computer you use. A Shearwater isn't supierior to a Suunto because it gives more bottom time or less deco - in fact the opposite may be true.

That a dive computer becomes a depth gauge, even before your dive is over, just because Suunto corporate lawyers are afraid of a lawsuit if you get bent after missing their deco stops is unacceptable.

BS. How deep was that mandatory deco stop that you missed, exactly, and how much gas you're carrying that you can continue the dive after missing it? If you are using a recreational computer as anything other than a depth gauge on a rebreather dive to a hundred msw, Suunto lawyers are absolutely right: they need to cover their a** from terminally stupid people and their nexts of kin.

But you indicated that it locks for 48 hours, hence your surface time and no fly time is 48 hours. What more do you need to know?
Would you really refrain from diving or flying for 48 hours simply because a locked-out recreational computer told you to?

Would you really refrain from diving or flying for 48 hours simply because a locked-out recreational computer told you to?
Definitely, because I got bent.
Now if I was diving two computers and one locked out, I certainly would want to download the dive profile and review it. What did I do wrong? I would then make a decision. But knowing myself and my history, I probably would stay out of the water regardless. I would rather give up 48 hrs of diving than give up diving altogether. Believe me, its not worth it.

Now, I don't own a Suunto, but rather than fault the computer, maybe take a good look at your diving. Become a diver that can wear any computer. And if I have to hang on the deco line a little longer than my buddy, so what? The team topside can see my bubbles. I'm only 3 meters below the boat; not going anywhere. Just as long as they make me a cup of tea and leave me some Tim Tams; I'm good. :)

As to your reference regarding "recreational" computers; you can plan a decompression dive with a Zoop. Of course it doesn't do trimix but I doubt the OP is in the market for that type of functionality for a first computer. And as for those instructors that throw their computers over the side of the boat on a rope to clear; I can only quote Forrest Gump; "Stupid is what Stupid does."

I know of a couple of instructors in Indonesia who, when their Suunto locks, they tie it to a rope and throw it overboard for a, few hours. For some reason this resets the watch faster?
Actually I would like to apologise to the Indonesian instructors regarding my Forrest Gump comment. Although I disagree with their actions since it sets a bad example, I should be more empathetic. If they are locals, they are probably making peanuts to be our personal dive guides and have to risk their own health to make a decent buck. So if an Indonesian instructor/dive master is reading this, please accept my apology.

If their computer's quartz oscillator ticks faster underwater, the appropriate quote is "you can't overcome stupid".

Well , things have definitely got off hand in the thread, with a few Suunto ayatollahs chipping in and thrashing (1) my dive planning and (2) buoyancy skills without knowing who I am or what I do as a diver, and worryingly enough (3) insulting and condescending on Indonesian local dive guides (BTW I never said they were Indonesian, I said they were based in Indonesia but it doesn't matter at this stage).

I don't think I can add anything else of value to the (arrogant with whiffs of white-supremacist? ) narrative here. Safe dives all and may the oceans be big enough so that we don't cross paths over or underwater.

Was in a similar situation a year or so ago. Was looking at a mid range DC without AI. My analysis included researching the name brands on ScubaBoard and Google. I've had the opportunity to try out various Suunto models, the Cressi Giotto, the ScubaPro Aladin and Gallileo. Long story short I ended up buying a used Shearwater Petrel 2 off of ScubaBoard. Love it. There is simply no comparison between these models (other than the SP Gaillieo) that I tested and the Petrel 2. Reliability, simplicity, visibility, ease of changing the battery are just a few of the pluses that the other mid range DCs just simply could not match. Note that a new Petrel 2 was not in my budget. $425 USD well spent. :wink:

I have used Mares Puck and it does what it is supposed to do. I have no complaints other than it is an RGBM with manufacturer customizations so it may get conservative on repetitive dives but I believe in getting conservative on repetitive diving so that is totally in line with my own philosophy.

To be more precise, they become a depth gauge (no other indications) when they lock underwater, and they continue to be an expensive depth gauge for the following 48h. At least my D6i does. It also refuses to give you surface times or no-fly times, for that matter.

My cobra did not lock up until dry, it continues to calculate deco, And whren it is locked you easy reset it by taking the battery out for a minute ...

Back
Top Bottom