Container to take car smart key fob down with me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

obviously for $115 there's some risk
ScubaPro Divers Egg Dry-Box With String

I would trust this one but it's $300
Sartek Industries Product Details

Find a metal screw down dive light with a double o-ring seal and remove the battery carrier. Probably have the lanyard included. Don't get a plastic one as some of them rely on the carrier support to keep from crushing.

The first one says it's for surface use only under the Q&As.

The link for the second one says it is $400.

I know it doesn’t look like much but we bought something very like this at Dive Friends several years ago and its still doing well. Just for added protection I first put the key in a ziplock then place it in the canister.

https://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Choice...74&hvtargid=aud-801657747996:pla-844770669597

I guess this one is what I will be getting! It's the only one that looks big enough. I was thinking old dive light with batteries removed but I don't have any of those.

I know it doesn’t look like much but we bought something very like this at Dive Friends several years ago and its still doing well. Just for added protection I first put the key in a ziplock then place it in the canister.

https://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Choice...74&hvtargid=aud-801657747996:pla-844770669597

We bought one of these too. Seems like it was $10 or so at Dive Friends.

I was skeptical, fullying expecting to open it and dump water out.I

to my surprise worked just fine, down to 140'. I used s quick!ink tied to one end and a bungee loop with boltsnap on the other so it wouldn't float around.

First, I wouldn't rely on a regular ziplock bag for much of anything at depth--I've experimented with them, and even if you double-bag something you would be amazed and how much water will work it's way in at 3atm. Instead, I've always used a little waterproof pouch like an aquapack or loksak; they are pretty inexpensive and it's what they are made for. Just hang it around your neck (be sure to get at least one with a lanyard attachment) and tuck it into your wetsuit or diveskin so it can't get lost.

To be extra-safe, I put the fob in one pouch, roll it up, and then put that pouch inside a second pouch hung around my neck. They are transparent, so if for some reason the outer pouch gets damaged and leaks a bit, you will see a few droplets inside it when you surface. Done it for at least 200 dives, and never lost a fob (just almost, once, while snorkeling, due to human error--i.e. forgetting to close the pouch properly).

One other caution: there is another very cheap brand out there with triple yellow-colored ziplocks that I have personally found not to last very long--ask around at your LDS. Good luck!

After losing one key and flooding another i would recommend to get a "dumb " key , tie it to a string and take it with you.

Keep your regular fob in your glove box, use the dumb one to unlock the car.

They are cheap and quick to make and you wouldn't have to worry about flooding or rust.

Works like a charm for me

I don't think that would work with my keyless fob. The doors unlock when I get within 3 feet of my car.

Just use a key fob signal blocker.

Just use a key fob signal blocker.

True. Just remove the mechanical key from the fob, put it in a Faraday Bag, lock it in the glove box, lock the car with the key, and clip the key onto your gear or under your suit. Just make sure that there is zero electronics in the key.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom