CAR KEY....Revived!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IBjones: Try wrapping your silly key in tin foil. The car won't auto unlock the doors if it ain't getting a radio signal from the key. (google Faraday cage)

I keep tin foil in my work truck to put on my cell phone. Noone can bother me, but there's no log of me turning the phone off. Also great if i want to drive 90mph or ride the red bike 150, without being tracked.

Most or I should say, many newer cars have a hidden valet key that can be released from the key fob. The valet key is just a metal key to unlock the door and many times will do nothing more.

Will have to ask you to stow my only key with you when we dive the jetties!

No problem stowing your key

" It just knows that the FOB is in the car."
Yes, if you put the key in a Faraday Cage, the car can't and won't see it. Which is also the recommended way to keep your spare "keyless entry" FOB while at home or in the office, to prevent it from being polled by a booster box, which then can unlock the car.
A Faraday Cage is a small hand-craft titanium cage used to restrain violent mice and moles. Very expensive and only sold to licensed dangerous animal handlers. But, an Altoids tin, a metal BandAid box if your FOB is too fat, or anything similar will work.(G) Of course if someone breaks into the car, they'll steal the Altoids and BandAids, while the crumpled up foil may get ignored. Those "RF safe" key shield pouches, or the mylar pouch that comes with toll passes, or any similar mylar pass from electronics, should also do the job, depending on how sensitive the car is.

" It just knows that the FOB is in the car."
Yes, if you put the key in a Faraday Cage, the car can't and won't see it. Which is also the recommended way to keep your spare "keyless entry" FOB while at home or in the office, to prevent it from being polled by a booster box, which then can unlock the car.
A Faraday Cage is a small hand-craft titanium cage used to restrain violent mice and moles. Very expensive and only sold to licensed dangerous animal handlers. But, an Altoids tin, a metal BandAid box if your FOB is too fat, or anything similar will work.(G) Of course if someone breaks into the car, they'll steal the Altoids and BandAids, while the crumpled up foil may get ignored. Those "RF safe" key shield pouches, or the mylar pouch that comes with toll passes, or any similar mylar pass from electronics, should also do the job, depending on how sensitive the car is.

Does one need a concealed handgun license to have a faraday cage? Is there a federal background check required to purchase one? :) One of my buddies got his right nipple bit off by a beaver one time. It didn't ever grow back. He sure coulda used one of them cages you're talking about for restraining violent critters.

Does one need a concealed handgun license to have a faraday cage? Is there a federal background check required to purchase one? :) One of my buddies got his right nipple bit off by a beaver one time. It didn't ever grow back. He sure coulda used one of them cages you're talking about for restraining violent critters.

Hey! I know the sister of the guy that actually happened to! Her husband, the brother-in-law of the nippleless beaver beater, told that story to Foxworthy.

I have a bad habit of going diving with my car key in the pocket of my trunks. Didn't use to be a problem as the 1998 GM fob was good to 120 fsw. Tested that many times. But the more recent fobs are more delicate. My solution is car rental for vacations. If I forget, just have the rental company bring a new car since the key was dropped in a puddle.

True story....Ever had one of those days where everything that could go wrong went wrong?

Just bought my new Dodge pickup a few years back. Hooked up the boat and headed to Beaufort for the weekend. Backed the boat down the ramp , off the trailer, tied it up, got in the truck and pulled the trailer out and parked it in the parking lot. grabbed all my crap out of the back, towels, fold up chairs, cooler, sunscreen and all the crap wife was hauling on the ride and locked the doors. Got down to the boat and stepped off the dock into the boat...one leg in the boat, one leg on the dock, arms full of crap.....boat rocks, I lose balance, truck keys leave my fingers and hit the water.

I swear it was like slow-motion. It seemed like it took the keys 15 seconds to fall that 3 feet and hit the water, and another minute to sink out of sight, and all I could do was stand there and watch.

Couldn't get the boat out of the water - no truck keys. Couldn't leave - no truck keys. The bilge plug for the boat was laying on the console in the truck (doors locked) so the boat was filling up with water. I had to run over to where folks stored their boats and steal one outta somebody's boat for a few hours. There was a nice guy there with one of them strong magnets on a rope. He trawled back and forth for 20 minutes or so but the current was strong in the ICW. Keys were probably 5 miles up the ICW by now.

Darned glad I had AAA. I had to sit around for about 3 hours, but they sent a locksmith from an hour away on sunday evening. He unlocked the truck in about 2 minutes and cut me a key, didn't cost me a cent. A sunday evening call to come all the way from Jacksonville woulda probably cost me five hundred bucks.

Went to the locksmith to see about getting a replacement fob that week. He couldn't do it, sent me to dealership. They told me if I had one already they could "clone" it for a few bucks. But if I didn't have one to clone they had to reprogram the computer on the truck and put that code into a new fob and it would be about $500. Since the only fob I had was at the bottom of the Neuse river somewhere, I opened my truck doors with the key for the next five years.

Lessons learned. :)

First thing I did when I got my new F150 in December was go to the dealership and have the fob cloned and put it up somewhere safe for emergencies. So now I got three fobs! LOL I won't be caught fobless again!

Back
Top Bottom