CAR KEY....Revived!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most vehicles have what is known as a valet key or even a simple key that you can extract from a smart key with a release button. Either way, you should have a key that has no electronics (in many cases) that you can use to simply gain access to the vehicle. Those are perfect for taking with and leaving the smart key hidden inside the vehicle.

Anyone know if the car will start with a simple steel key if the chip key is close by? We lost a key and I might be cheaper to cut the key off of the chip key and leave it in the car. Then buy a few simple steel keys. The car is a Kia; if someone wants to steal it they are welcome to it. lol

they seem to be quite unpopular on Amazon
Capture.PNG

actually reading what is said means something. I remember reading these and despite the many good reviews, I believe the majority of users are lucky, not safe.......

upload_2017-2-13_14-37-59.png

upload_2017-2-13_14-39-35.png

YMMV, but I won't use one.....

actually reading what is said means something. I remember reading these and despite the many good reviews, I believe the majority of users are lucky, not safe.......

View attachment 396796

View attachment 396797

YMMV, but I won't use one.....

I suspect it's a matter of security through obscurity. After you put the rubber cap over the lock, most would never know it's there unless they watched you put the key in. Personally I think a realtor-style key box would be much better, as you can get some that are actually high quality locks, and just lock it to the chain holes on your hitch. Better yet, an empty flashlight and take it with you.

^^^^^ +1

I've been looking at the realtor style lock boxes for some time, trying to find a high quality one. My plan would likely be to lock it inside the bed (under soft cover) of my truck to one of the tie-down anchors..... I currently dive with a door-only key on a necklace, leaving keys in the truck somewhere...

I searched for the old thread, sorry
There's a couple in the Bonaire forum - including one called....Car Keys. It's typically a bigger issue there due to the petty theft at sites with no facilities - you take everything with you on the dive or leave it in your room.

Last edited:
I go with the more traditional "make the thief think it has no value" approach. Before I get out of the truck, I put the key in an empty McDonalds cup, put the lid back on with the straw sticking out, get out then throw the cup and the wadded up McDonalds bag into the back of the truck.

When I get back to the truck, I grab my trash out of the back, pop the lid off, dump the key out and unlock my truck, then throw the trash away in the usually nearby trash can.

Even if I'm being watched as I get out of the truck, the thief just thinks I'm a slob.
I haven't run across a thief in the last 15 years of diving that thought an empty McDonalds cup was worth his effort to steal.

I used to be a cop. Believe me when I tell you that cute and expensive receiver lock can be popped in about 4 seconds by even a half-motivated crook, and they all know you probably have a magnetic hide-a-key under the rear fender or one of the bumpers. All they have to do is think you have a cool stereo or see you throw your wallet or pistol under the seat when you get out to be motivated enough. That's one of the things I think is so ridiculous about the antiquated post office "no guns allowed" thing. Every time I go check my PO Box, I have to leave my piece in the car. Every wino and crack head loitering in the parking lot is watching and knows I'm hiding "something". It's not like the post office actually ships strongboxes full of gold anymore that they need that outdated law. Nobody is robbing trains and stagecoaches nowadays.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom